Monday, March 23, 2009

Agar 2~Part2.



I love Creme Brulée..
It's so rich though..I am just about to make the real shebang..but after making the coffee flan..I decide to experiment..
I used 100 ml of 2% milk.. 1 tsp of pure vanilla ..1 tsp of REAL maple syrup..and 1 tsp of Agar-Agar flakes.. Boiled for a couple of minutes and set in the ramekin.. chilled.. it really doesn't take long..then a touch of light brown sugar and used my mini torch..
I liked it.
And hardly any fat.

I am really enjoying this agar agar..
I made little molecular balls too..I am saving that idea to show you at it's best use..
They are really cute~
Anyone else using Agar~ Agar?

9 comments:

  1. so no eggs and it sets up just fine and looks as pretty as that? does it taste fishy?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No fish taste at all! Just sweet sweet!
    I hate fish sauce:)
    No eggs..no cream..A nice light sweet flan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonjour M! How interesting~ thank you for the informative review.

    I've never used it, but I'm looking forward to doing so. Fewer calories/fat than other versions is a bonus!

    It looks so pretty, and if it passes your taste test, I know I would like it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mme.M...you are a trendy chef who dabbles in Molecular Gastronomy, way cool!...
    I am very impressed! I wonder how this would work in panna cotta
    This looks great!
    I am excited to hear more about it.
    L~xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda..I have seen many panna cotta recipes with it.. we should try:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Creme brulee is one of my most favorite desserts of all time and if you can make it lower in fat and calories I would be an immediate fan of agar agar!

    Where did you buy it, M?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought it in a "Biologique " store Susan..health food or asian stores may have it for you.I have flakes..many recipes suggest powder..I found sooo many new recipes today..No regrets..Go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. M, creme brulee fan here too and lower fat and calories is definitely a bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks lovely, and healthier!

    ReplyDelete