Sunday, March 22, 2009

Agar -Agar~



Do you know of Agar- Agar? Or Agar2?
I had read many recipes from France using this..And was always curious..I spotted a recipe that made me buy some this week..And although I have not made that recipe yet..I did do a couple of trial runs to see how I liked working with this and I do.
I started with the small coffee flan above..
It's a very healthy natural product to work with and I will keep sharing when I continue to experiment with it..



From Food Epicurious:





agar; agar-agar
[AH-gahr, AY-gahr]
Also called kanten and Japanese gelatin , this tasteless dried seaweed acts as a setting agent and is widely used in Asia. It is marketed in the form of blocks, powder or strands and is available at Asian markets and health-food stores. Agar can be substituted for gelatin but has stronger setting properties so less of it is required.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

I have visions of retro aspics:)

6 comments:

  1. Oh my! You are delving into molecular gastronomy. I haven't done anything with agar agar yet but I have been playing with alginates and the spherification techniques. One of these days I may have something worthwhile to show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well it looks beautiful... you are such the trendy cook now, thanks for teaching me~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not even heard of this product yet, but your coffee dessert sure looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to Google it to learn more. I have heard of it but have never used it. Your coffee flans looks so pretty and delicious and very healthy from what I've read ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. All so beautiful - once again. I love, love, love the way you put your images together. I hope you are planning your own cookbook!
    Cheers!
    Ry

    ReplyDelete