It was ..is... a long weekend here..
Saturday was a bit of a curmudgeon day..humid..grey..heavy..
Sunday..today ..is absolute ..perfection.
The kind of day..where the outside looks as good as the inside..
The grass is green..the gardens are growing..
the house is sunny.
As is everything had been groomed for you..but you have groomed it..
so..effortless it seems.
A funny little footnote..
A shout out to Staples/Bureau En Gros..is in order also..
Jacques and I each bought a computer last year from them..I took the prolonged warranty..
they had sold us a security program..that ended after one year..
We removed it this week..but could not get the computers to kick in to Windows Defender..I called them..and they said come in..
I did stop at a nursery;)
And we went..
Samuel..the young BRAINIAC ..I mean that in the kindest way..adorable ..sweet smart tech guy..took like 10 magic minutes to make everything right.
No charge..brought my computer back to the car and would not even accept $ compensation.
Kudos.. Staples /Bureau En Gros here in QC.
I already am in love w/ their print centre.."Isabelle".
Back to the gardens..
Some white is popping out ..here and there..Violas..Lilacs..Sweet Woodruff..Solomon's Seal..did you know that all these apart from Solomon's Seal are edible blooms?Apple blossoms?
I have them here..so I know that there have not been any insecticides used at all.
I have found a great site for edible blooms..
Lily Of The Valley is definitely NOT edible.. poisonous..but what a scent..my mom♥
It grows wild here..on the side/length of the driveway..the area is not a great gardening area so I have left the ferns..LOTV..Lilies etc..just grow wild~
I love white..so much so that if you look in my closet..my shirts and tshirts are white.. 90% or black..the other 10%..I have very little color..
I like white furniture..white blooms..I have a Blanc Pinterest Board:)
The scent of lilacs..and lily-of the valley..are uniquely and individually intoxicating~
Lily Of The Valley has lovely meanings..The Return Of Happiness..Purity..Sweetness..it is also said that they bloomed at the foot of the cross where Mary shed her tears..:(
I loved a book called The Language Of Flowers..may just read it again..I rarely do that..but I think I will..
Dans la cuisine~
I wanted to use the pans I bought at Amazon..5 ,small, 5 inch Wilton pans to make smaller cakes..
I halved my Gâteau Au Beurre recipe..but it only made 4 layers..will have to try and perfect a small 5 layer cake recipe..
The cake was as good as always..but because the cake is small..the icing was too sweet..next time I will up the cream cheese and butter and reduce the sugar.
But I must say..small is in when you are baking for 1 person.
I have shared this cake recipe before..I'll do it again..this time..halved..
Courtesy of Denise Cardin..when I was a young bride of 21..and she was our back door neighbor..w/ 3 boys..in her later 30's..
1 cup of sugar
1 cup flour sifted
1 tbsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
3 /4 cups of milk that you have simmered to melt butter the size of an egg yolk..1 tbsp is fine for this halfer recipe.
Combine eggs,sugar,flour,baking powder, salt then milk/butter mixture'until homogenous.
Place in 4 of the Wilton pans.. I measured..to make sure the same amount of batter would be in all 4 pans...bake ap 25 min..until a toothpick comes out clean.. check after 20 mins..these are small pans..like playing w/ Easy Bake ovens almost:) at 350F.
Let cool..unmold..stack and frost and adorn...with violas..or cherry blossoms..or lilacs..etc..
For the full recipe..it will make 2 8inch round pans..and you would bake 1/2 hour.
Fresh is the operative word for our gardens this weekend..
nothing is burnt..the greens are vibrant and new still..
some of my garden ornaments are getting tired and old..
a small flat garden stone I made..when we moved here.. that has these words on it..
In Search Of My Mother's Garden..I Found My Own~
With thanks to Derek.
Some people you never ever ever forget.
A smile.. an act of kindness, a twinkle in their eye..compassion..dedication..artistry..kindness..
That..and more.. Derek~