Thursday, October 1, 2015

Look how cute this gift idea is~











One of my daughter's mentioned a book that her co-worker brought in to work..
and I had read something about it somewhere else..
I happened to see it last week and browsed through it..
this recipe caught my eye..and then many others in the book..so it came home with us..
this soup is the first thing I made..
You offer it as a gift..on the front of the tag..it says what it is:)..on the back of the tag..the instructions simply say:

Add contents of jar to a large stockpot along w/ a 28ozs can of diced tomatoes and 3 cans of water.
Bring to a boil and simmer for 45 minues..plus or minus a few words..see last pic.
You could happily print it up on your computer..this is very tiny handwriting..it's a normal sized tag.



Guess what?
It's really good and well look how cute..

I recommend a 2 cup capacity jar..EXACTLY..as less.. and the mixture would not fit..more..the mixture would just move around..so measure first..2 cups.
I had everything on hand except beef bouillon..I used chicken.We use organic liquid chicken and beef broths when I don't have home made..and really I rarely have home made.
 But I  did have some chicken bouillon powder form....and now I have bought a few sachets of the beef one because I will offer this gift..whenever the opprtunity arises.

Great gift to bring a daughter..a friend..this makes a lot of soup.

I also recommend bringing along the needed can of San Marzano diced tomatoes..then the recipient will have everything on hand to even make it as soon as you get there:)

Mylène,Noah,Giuliana,Jacques and I all liked it a lot..Mylène did pick out her mushrooms;)
You can lighly bake slices of baguette brushed with olive oil ..sprinkle w/ salt and serve along..makes a great little dunk:)
We had a picnic on the boat..and Caroline had brought this bread..to dunk in Frédérick's most excellent southwestern corn/potato chowder..I hope to try and make that one and share with you also~.

Anyways this book is very dear and well done..and so far the recipes have been very good..
I am totally charmed by her.
Totally.
Smitten actually.
The book was originally published in French..the English version is available..
She was a French Canadian singer..and felt she wanted something different..food was important to her..she has suffered from anorexia....and overcame it.. you have all kinds of recipes in this book..her husband is the photographer and the pics are beautiful..Marilou is visual she says..and it shows.Everything is so pretty..you know lasagna? Instead of saying..put the sauce,put the noodles..she actually writes down the order w/ a sketch.Brilliant.As I am visual too:)
She is beautiful..and charming..and together in my opinion they are a sweet , extremely talented couple.
A link to her book..  it is available also at Amazon..etc.. my Costco had it..
She also has a beautiful bilingual blog.
Last night we had a very flavorful mediterranean chicken recipe and her couscous to accompany was great.I did add a handful of chopped fresh sage because for some reason that worked beautifully!

The night before I made her fig and prosciutto pizza w/ my dough..so good!

I tried her Parmesan Crisps..delish..and you could add rosemary..but I loved them as is..




They say if you glean one good keeper recipe from a book..it's worth it..so far it's really worth it.

La Recette~

The jar ingredients~

1/2 cup green lentils
1/2 cup pearl barley
1/2 cup red lentils
2 tbsp beef bouillon powder
1 tbsp dried parsley
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup dried wild mushrooms roughly chopped.


The fall cleanup begins..I am sure that means less posts..
It's arduous this month of October..like Spring.
I want a genie. In a bottle or not.
I did plant the garlic today and I am hoping every little clove goes forth:)

Can you believe a SQUIRREL had the audacity to dig a big clove up?
I opened the door and scared it.
And that's fine..and now I have a bright blue tarp over the raised bed.So pretty..:(
I hate squirrels.We have too many.
There is still sooo much pink going on..The Pink Diamonds..the dahlias..anemones..sedum..and not much in way of fall color yet..everyone is saying..it's so late..we are a society of malcontents;)
But in case you feel like feeling..content..and want to make a few gifts and a pot for yourselves this coming weekend..enjoy the above recipe..
I know..I bake cookies all the time..but one of my faves?That I don't bake?
Bonne Maman ♥




Bon weekend~




67 comments:

  1. HI Monique!
    That is an excellent gift idea...and it does look very tasty...is it 3 cans of water, in the tomato can??
    I just may make up a few of these..very cute!
    I have not done any clean up here at home...but it is small..so I am not worried...
    I must plant my garlic this weekend! Thanks for the reminder...
    Then we can dream of garlic until next summer! :o)
    Your photos are exquisite as always...
    Bonne weekend!!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes..just empty the tomatoes..into the pot w/ the dry ings..then refill that can 3 times..with water and add..
      As I said it took 1 hr for mine..makes a lot!
      I find one good idea..is to make it..when the family comes.. and then let them leave w/ a jar:)They will see how easy it is and what they have to look forward to:)
      You have all those cute tags you bought:)
      Enjoy Linda:) Don't let Miss V shake the bottle up:)It's tempting..:)

      Delete
    2. That is an excellent idea Monique!
      And...I will NOT let Miss V shake it...:o)

      Delete
    3. Perfect for one of your family get togethers.:)
      Then..parting gifts..

      Delete
  2. I love your lentils soup, perfect for rigorous winters :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. J'adore this idea for a gift, plus I would be so pleased to receive it as a gift as well. You know they say - we give the gifts we would like to receive....
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would gladly bring you a jar:)If you lived close by..makes a lot..you could freeze some I am sure..

      Delete
  4. I've always wanted to make a soup like this! The instructions sound so easy... and it was really yummy too? Perfect! I will def. check it out. I am loving the v e r y long end of summer. It was warm humid and in the 70s today. The roses in the garden are still blooming. I am NOT ready for pumpkin season yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good Gail..you can add chopped fresh herbs on top..even croutons..but we had it twice more for lunches..leftovers and it was just as good.
      It sure doesn't look like pumpkin season here either..summer wreath is till on the door..roses blooming too!The soup takes minutes to package..paint your tag!Just make sure you have everything on hand..have fun..

      Delete
  5. Love these kinds of jar gifts... Yours came out lovely ;) I spent last week making up gluten-free pizza mixes... So much fun! And the book looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jar gifts are very popular here! I totally agree with you that one good recipe is worth the cookbook! I love buying a new cookbook just so i can find the hidden gem! This one sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gem after gem here..unusually so..Well no..Dorie..Ina...but to find a new little sparkler:)

      Delete
  7. Great gift to give and the soup sounds really good. Thanks so much.
    Don't work to hard and enjoy the Fall.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a brilliant idea for an original hostess gift. Just need to get my jars. When our warm weather turns to Autumn days by the fire I'll start making soups. It's really not soup weather yet :0 I'm glad as it will make the winter seem shorter.Must check out that cook book .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen jar gifts..but this is the first one that inspired me..hers is in a beautiful differently shaped Weck..and her phtographs are just so inviting..but I had never tried one..before posting I wanted to make sure it was worth it and good and it is:)

      Delete
  9. How adorable and delicious too! I will certainly give that a go! I am going to check out the cookbook also! I enjoyed a delicious cup of tea yesterday afternoon, sent by a friend. Oh my but it was tasty. It felt like I was drinking dessert. Thank you so much dear friend. The nutty one. Love LOVE. Now I must find some. Have a fabulous weekend! Love and hugs. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-( Can't get that book here. I will have to wait.

      Delete
    2. Marie..I smiled when I read your post..The nutty one..sounded like it could be me;) Could the tea be Forever Nuts by David's Tea? It's my favorite from that company..
      I could see you making this for a group that you would have over:) You must have everything and the jars;)
      I think the soup would be approved for you?

      Delete
  10. Marilou should hire you to do her PR, Monique. This lovely review made me want to be the book immediately.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh she doesn't even know me:) And vice versa.. go see her blog..so youthful..your style..I think she and her husband have soared on their own merits..but that's so nice of you to say.

      Delete
  11. I could eat that soup Today!
    Paris is chilly!!
    Fun site. Tanks M
    http://www.troisfoisparjour.com/fr/recettes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oui..I omitted her blog..will go do that now..Good point!

      Delete
  12. What a wonderful idea! I am going to check out her cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her blog is also in English..I adde the link now..so pretty..enjoy your weekend Penny..Have you heard from Penny?:)

      Delete
  13. This is a wonderful idea! I know my working daughters would love it. A jar, a can, a loaf of bread and dinner is done! Such a lovely website she has and the book sounds wonderful, especially given your two thumbs up review :) I will look for it! It is definitely soup weather here right now. To think we were eating outdoors last Saturday night and since Tuesday, it's been chilly and blustery. Really windy, actually. Things should get better next week. I've looked at photos from the past several years and our trees are far behind color-wise also. I bought garlic at the farmers' market yesterday. I will try but no ideal spot. Fingers crossed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of your grls..right away:)♥
      The sun's out today it's 40ish..but it will warm up..good luck w/ the garlic:) I bet yours will be amazing..Plenty amazing:)

      Delete
  14. Great gift idea! It's something about anyone would be happy with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so:)Would hope so..I just think that you need to give them the tomatoes too or the jar could collect dust..and even better if they have tasted because then the motivation is there;)

      Delete
  15. Cette idée est adorable, le bocal l'est également !
    J'aime ces cadeaux simples et maison :)
    Bon weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tu aimerais son site..elle est sympatique..et a plusieurs recettes qui sauraient te plaire..

      Delete
  16. I will definitely make these gifts. Found the jars so next onto the ingredients. Your finished product makes it more appetizing. Your pizza sounds wonderful too. Now about those adorable cookies, can you share that recipe too? Have a good weekend and hopefully we will see some blogs during October. I too will be out in the garden putting it to bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been putting th round cutting garden to bed..you inspired me:)
      I agree seeing and tasting the finsihed product makes it all the more appetizing..how many things do we get in a jar..and they stay there?

      Not right but it happens:)

      Delete
  17. J'adore l'idée ! C'est joli ... et exactement le genre de petite soupe que j'aime ! Bisous et bon week-end
    Hélène

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toi aussi chère Hélène..vas voir son blog..elle est charmante cette fille.

      Delete
  18. What a perfect soup (although I would add fresh kale, which obviously cannot go in the jar) - and I think it would be a lovely hostess/stocking/friends present: the seasonings sound just perfect, especially the hot pepper flakes/cumin/turmeric. You've inspired me to start a Pinterest board for a homemade Christmas! Espcially pretty in a Weck jar, as someone mentioned - I just got my first three jars at a very upscale store here (on sale). Merci and have a lovely October weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh for sure..once it's made and it's there and yours..chopped fresh kale or witing spinach..anything is possible:)I hope to see your beautiful jars:)I think hers is in a Weck Juice jar..beautiful shape.
      Pinterest is a gift to us I find:)
      Have a good day Katrina..

      Delete
  19. Love that soup in a jar idea! Great gift! Who would not love receiving that? You could add so many things! I have never seen the Bonne Maman cookies here! Only the jam!
    Bisous xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to know what you would do:) I'll ask you..

      Delete
  20. How special this is! Years ago a fellow clogger gave away Christmas gifts such as this. Totally different recipe. This one sounds so good. It's about soup weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess there atre many..this was my first..her book is so pretty I am on my tenth recipe I think:) About..

      Delete
  21. What a marvelous looking soup, Monique. I could almost smell it cooking from here! Cute idea for gifts too. The book looks marvelous....post some more recipes from it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Monique that is such a fun gift idea. How pretty it is done up in the layers too. Her book looks so beautiful. I agree - one beautiful recipe makes a cookbook worth it - but I have a bit of a problem with too many cookbooks! I love to read them as novels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will need quite a few jars w/ your family and friends..:)Those Weck 2 cup Juice ones..♥

      Delete
  23. what a fun gift idea. The book looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photos are like her blog..beautiful..love those gorgeous blogs..:)

      Delete
  24. Hi Monique,
    I've missed your blog. We just flew in from Italy last night. I'm up early, having jet lag. I went straight to my computer and am catching up with all of my blogging friends. Love this soup idea. It is so pretty. Will check out both the blog and the cookbook. Glad to be back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always great to come home..we were gone one month that time..and even in Rome..the last leg of our trip..the last 2 days..I was ready to come home;)
      I am glad you are back too!

      Delete
  25. What a wonderful gift - for someone who has been under the weather, a new neighbor or just because you are thinking of a friend. That is a beautiful gift and wonderful recipe. We love lentils. Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Brilliant Monique. I can think of several people who would appreciate a gift such as this one. Such a change from gifting hot chocolate or cookie mixes. By the way, I'm in love with that little blue loveheart cup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That teacup came all the way from South Africa.. she has a pink sister:)
      I do like this whole soup..and jar..it is brilliant:)
      She will have her first baby soon..Marilou..

      Delete
  27. Wonderful gift idea in a jar! I think homemade gifts are the best, very personal and thoutfll -))

    Hugs,

    Yelena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have 2 neighbors who could use it..:) I should..maybe even 3..

      Delete
  28. I am happy to finally be able to visit your blog. The soup looks comforting...I like the idea of barley with the lentils. A cute gift. I can see taking it to a friend who is ill and making it on the spot for her. I apologize for being absent for so long. My mom is now mobile and we have moved her to a retirement community where she can have some independence yet still the assistance that she needs. It has been a very long summer for her. I look forward to some comforting food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor dear girl..changes are never easy..she is lucky to have you Kate!

      Delete
  29. What a warming and comforting soup. How nice to turn the ingredients into a gift to share with others. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may get new neighbors:) I know you are in a much warmer climate now:)

      Delete
  30. Monique, I love to try different soup recipes in the Fall, this one looks perfect! Love the gift idea, it looks so pretty too! Happy Baking!
    Hugs,
    Jody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I brought one to my neighbor this morning:)
      I love doing things like that.
      You would have so many people to offer it to!

      Delete
  31. Oh my..what a gorgeous gift idea..and I have a whole box of empty labels I could use to attach..
    I think I might just copy that from you..
    Love love that cup..so wonderful to see it and the delicate little biscuit..
    Many hugs again xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I STILL love love love my cups..I mean c'mon..hearts!
      Yes copy me..I copied her..I am a copier.
      Copique..Not Monique:)

      Delete