Sunday, December 22, 2019

~Hark the herald angels sing~



On the 12th..I was opening a gift package..:)
Jacques and I don't exchange gifts..
So indulge me please:)


Touched to receive a watercolor of our she shed with little elves frolicking about:)
Mice decos..napkins ..tea towel..an angel to watch over us..and a baker's amazing spoon..all you cooks/bakers..need this:)
It keeps your bench clean..scrapes and measures..
The kicker every yr is seeing Susan's beautiful family on her yearly Christmas cards.
Merci Pea:)


Our Mouse fam is growing..and I love them all..

all the felt..all the time:)

Cozy..cuddly..unbreakable..and personality plus..

A little Texas mouse arrived too:)Merci Sarah:)



On the home front..

in other areas..
The tourtières are made..Jacques and I do these well together!
He LOVES these.


He learned by assisting Caroline and I for a few years:)
Those are my old hands.
They are older now and one more ring is on my hand:)



I tried painting cookies again..like I always do..and my icing didn't set..so let's revisit:)
I don't mind because my previous pics are lost in space right?




My magic bars turned out far better:) Quintessential Christmas fare..an Eagle Brand classic~

Our stockings are heavy..not ours lol they are empty..but the family's stockings are heavy and I always lay them on the floor..now they have a support..:)
The mannequin was found on Varage Sale for about $10.00 if I remember correctly..and I festived her up.






I have some Christmas things to share..little ideas but I am saving them until my daughters receive them..in case they pop by my blog..saving 2 small surprises.
You may want to make one or two:)

I have such a sweet little story for you..

Our postmistress was off for a while and a replacement came..someone I knew  through her older sister..and her dear family..
We talked of many things while I was posting Christmas..etc..

When I dropped off my cards..I smiled and said..I know..there's a few:)  She had to calculate postage for everywhere etc..

I told her I still believed in cards..
she confided in me that she did too..and that at her regular post office..the one where she is the full time postmistress..every yr..she sent a card to all her clients.
EVERY BOX.
Who else does that?

And guess what?
I received a card from her with very special words in it.
What a gift.
A little Christmas story♥

I wrote all of the above about 1 week ago or more preparing for a pre -Christmas post..this one..

But reading parts now just seems..off for some reason.

I know people who are suffering so much right now..it makes Christmas SO HARD.

I saw this on IG this week..

"All I want for Christmas is to have my husband back"

I followed this girl on her blog for a few yrs then found her on IG..

Puts so much into perspective..


Jacques and I were talking early one morning..

About Christmas and how things and times have changed..

Never would my mom have thought of a Christmas stocking holder..or matching gift values and more and more and more.

Granted at the end there was just me..I actually only remember being me ..only apart from a photo or two.

And I know she saved and saved so that I would have that one special gift and a stocking.

A gift she would never spend that much on herself..just for me.

But we were never over the top..

Jacques and I find everything over the top now.
IG actually turned me off these past weeks with swipe up buy this buy that.

If I could I would rewind time.
Far less material.
Far far far less.
More kindness..more words..more letters more thoughtful attentions..
Less buy buy buy.

Tell someone you appreciate them.Tell them why.

Show some compassion.
Thank people for what they do for you.
Be respectful.
Surprise someone with an attention.
Show appreciation.
Listen.
Try and make someone smile or laugh.
Speak from your heart if you can.
If you are a professional caregiver don't treat patients like a number.
be a CARE giver.
Put yourself in someone elses' shoes.
Know someone who has very little?Give there maybe.
If you're buying a gift because you have to..maybe you should reconsider:)
I know I stopped a few obligations in gift giving because they became a weight..not bought in joy.
Don't ask.."are we exchanging gifts this year"? If you are asking the question your answer is there.
Why must it be an exchange?
Give when the spirit hits you..skip a yr if no inspiration..no obligations:)
Stop the cards you don't feel like writing..write the cards that make you happy.I know that sounds selfish but giving is a bit selfish no?
We feel so good!


I just go on and on don't I?

Jacques' mentioned that before;)

All of the above written by me..who does shop too much for her family..who did make a stocking holder..who bakes and faffs.

I should practice what I preach right?
:)

The cards we get with family photos get nestled in the tree♥






Have yourself a sweet Christmas.♥
Very grateful for you all.
Thinking of everyone I know who needs a hug right now.








35 comments:

  1. Dearest Monique,
    Your hands are by no means old but still very elegant and agile!
    LOVING and CARING hands no doubt and eagerly we await the little surprises you made for your daughters.
    This is a special family time, that's all about Christmas. We don't do gift giving to each other either. Each day we have each other is the biggest gift.
    Sending you hugs and wishing for a very warm and special Merry Christmas for you and yours - those lucky enough to claim you as kin.
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a feeling that's what it is..and if you're feeling good..all's well..if you're sick..woe is me steps in..ther's almost a MUST that one must feel Christmasy..so hard in some cases..Thank you for ths year Mariette..you've been so nice to me..and you have been wonderful to your husband ..family and friends.

      Delete
  2. Merry Christmas.....love from me Ria ❤️🎄❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love this post!

    I love all the Christmas plans you've made & the sweet reminders to step back & be sincere in what we do through the holidays. I will go back & reread this a few times.

    I don't do much baking at all, if any, because my husband has juvenile diabetes. It's just sad to me to bake Christmas goodies that he cannot eat with us. So I stopped most of it years ago even though he encourages me to back for myself. I do have a sweet daughter-in-law who is an amazing baker(& cook). So when she bakes she always makes just a little extra for me & simple, not so sweet nibbles for my husband. We are blessed beyond measure to have her as our own daughter.

    I always put the photo Christmas cards in my tree too! Isn't that fun. This year is the first year I won't be doing that though. I did not put up a tree. I hung a wreath on my door, hung my lights & garland over my kitchen window & I set out my nativity. And I'm displaying the beautiful cards I'm receiving all through my house.....so plenty of cheer without the tree.

    Merry Christmas to you & your sweet family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We spend to much time at the kitchen sink..I like adding spirit there too..at night it looks psecial and in the day too.Sounds like your daughter -in-law..is in effect your daughter♥
      We are grateful to have 2 good son-in-laws also.Must be hard if it's not harmonious.
      Have a lovely lovely Christmas♥

      Delete
  4. What lovely gifts, I love making gifts and I love Susan is one of my favorite persons .merry Christmas dear Monique

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a lovely girl.:)♥I know you love making things:) And you do them beautifully.

      Delete
  5. ENJOY !!!
    All looks merveilleurse ⛄️

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas Monique! As always I love all of your photos, but your words at the last were the ones I love most of all. I am with you on every bit of it. More is actually less. If Christmas is the spirit of Giving and of love, then share your spirit by giving ... LOVE! Be kind. Be helpful. Be sincere. Grab the ones closest to you and tell them how much they mean to you because none of us knows what the next year will bring. Practice the spirit of Christmas LOVE every day. Life will be better, richer and filled with more happiness than your heart can hold. Todd and I don't do gifts either. We are the kind of people that when we need something if it is affordble we get it. I love to make small tokens for those people in my life that mean a lot to me, that brings me much joy. I love to bake some good things for us to share with others and enjoy ourselves. I love to talk to whatever family I can on Christmas day, and guess what. We bought ourselves a checker board, and we have been playing just one game of checkers every evening. No fuss. No muss. No gadgetry, just a board and some checkers and we talk and we laugh and every time so far I have been sorely beaten, but one of these days . . . I'm going to whup him good! Soon, I hope! Merry Christmas Sweet Friend. I hope it is all that you want it to be and more! Thank you so much for all that you have shared with us this year. My visits to you are always a real treat! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that is your whole philosophy♥
      I wish for you..you know what:)
      One day..that will happen.
      Can't wait for your children to come visit:)

      LOL Jacques is not agame player.
      Chess with Lucas yes..a few yrs back..but don't mention a game..oh and he loved Bridge before me.
      Different minds..give me Pictionary and Scrabble ;)
      I am a grateful reipient of your handiwork thoughtful gift giving..the garland greets us every day.
      I may never take it down;)
      Thank YOU for everything you have shared.
      Andd share.♥

      Delete
  7. All so very beautiful Monique! Peace, love and joy to you and your lovely family! Have a very Merry Christmas ❣️🎄🎄🎄❄️❄️❄️❣️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And to you and your beautiful family:) I know everything will be so elegant and perfect:)♥♥

      Delete
  8. You put an ear-to-ear smile on my face today! You always have such sweet stories to tell. My hairdresser lost her son, a soldier, recently. How can words describe what she is going through this Christmas. Big, supportive hugs for her and her husband also. So many sad and lonely people at Christmas. Lucky, we are ♥ You never know! I saw a sweet story on Facebook today about an elderly woman who was going into a nursing home and wasn't sad as she had made up her mind to be happy, no matter what. Her advice: Free your heart from hatred, Free your mind from worries, Live simply, Give more, Expect less, & enjoy every moment. Great advice...just like yours ♥ Love those hands, ours are very similar :) Your dressed-up-for-Christmas mannequin reminds me of one your shared that you photoed in France. So charming. Here we are, Christmas Eve tomorrow. Hard to believe! Merry Christmas, Dear Pea, to you and your wonderful family ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find Christmas came on like a speeding bullet..what a bad choice of words:(
      I should delete..:)
      No..onward and upward.
      I would rather say I approve of what that woman said Live simply..give more..expect less.:) The 3 others I need to work on me:)
      I cannot begin to imagine your hairdresser's loss.I don't know how you carry on..My mom did it..many do..
      Not sure I have that force in me anymore.
      We watched the 2 Popes last night.
      I loved it Susan..I was not aware of how the transition happened..maybe part is fictitious..but it all seemed real to me.
      And the 2 fabulous actors..the dialogue..the words so well chosen..reliving the '76 crisis in Argentina and what the pope went though:(
      Ohmy God true suffering.
      Netflix.
      And The Torture Report.. Prime I think..again the torture scenes just left me weak inside.
      Did you watch the Mariage Story? Excellent.That Adam Driver is such a good actor.I knew him from Girls..but he is just greater and greater.
      I like sharing our recent watches..
      The soldier..reminded me of the 2 Popes which led me on this tangent.
      I do go on and on.


      You're an ornament in my little life:)♥Enjoy Christmas!

      Delete
    2. It does seem like it came like speedy Superman :) It will be a fun-filled week or so for us. Netflix seems to get better and better. We still haven't tried it. We watch so little television and John falls asleep quickly if it doesn't grab his attention :) I couldn't find Torture Report and Marriage Story must be Netflix also. It seems Amazon has enough to offer for us but if we ever get bored we will try it. We've been watching the new season of Jack Ryan on Amazon, which has been good too. Makes me think of Gloria in Venezuela (Canela Kitchen) and what she is going through. I love your beautiful analogy of being an ornament in your life. You know I feel the same way! Peas and ornaments ♥♥

      Delete
    3. Jacques watched JR in Fl:) He liked this second season! I loved GBBO in Fl..and en famille we watched Instant Family which was so cute! Rose Byrne and adoption..nice family values..we need more familystuff:)
      I do know and I am grateful!

      Delete
  9. A very thoughtful post Monique. I agree about IG, I'm fed up with all the pop up ads. I love your mice. I bought one recently for a miniature house I'm going to make but it was too big so I have used it as a tree decoration. Merry Christmas :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful post Monique, thank you. Merry Christmas to you and yours! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. xoxox sent you a little..longish of course email yesterday:)

      Delete
  11. You are too hard on yourself. We are lol getting older. Baking is fun and so many appreciate the home baked goodies. I sent everything off with the grandkids. After numerous parties and visits, I don’t need my more sweets. Your baking I Leary’s lovely. Your words are full of wisdom and so true. It;s all about giving. Merry Christmas🎄 to you and your sweet family. I just wrote a post about the beautiful gift 🎁 you sent me 🙏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you are a giver:)I know your Christmas and New Year will be wonderful..I am coming to visit now.

      Delete
  12. Merry Christmas from my home to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So much loveliness, Monique, as always. Wishing you and yours the very best of holidays.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this episode M because I know you genuinely speak from your heart.

    "I just go on and on don't I?" Please don't ever stop.

    I made (or tried) brownies for me and Larry yesterday. Just a "we are not doing anything Christmas day treat." Came out a gooey eat with a spoon mess. Happens every time. Still, it tastes good because it's chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :):) Do you go to Costco? You can try their Ghirardelli Brownie Mix..super sweet but they work:)
      If anyone is honest kiddo..it's you:)
      Never change.

      Delete
    2. No matter what the brand!

      You too!

      Delete
  15. Monique, late seeing this, but I will write you an email. Love this post! I feel the same about gifts. I love to give gifts, but only ones that I find that make me think of someone. I like to shop through the year, especially when traveling. Well, not much of that this year!
    Love seeing your photos! The cookies are works of art!!! Love your little mice. Mice in clothes, make me think of Monique. I'm happy the little critter made his way from Texas. Merry, Merry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How I wish I knew what happened in the mail between QC and Texas:( I know it's long but Dec 4th to now and not even there:(
      Thank you!!

      Delete
  16. Oh, what a wonderful list of Christmas considerations. So let me say to you (and I think you know this already) that opening your blog is like opening a gift, one with the prettiest wrapping and something even prettier inside. I love your postmistress and those mise are adorable. To be honest, I love giving gifts to people but I try hard to make them be "just right" for that person and not because I could get five of them at a good price and send to five different people. That rarely works! I shop year round when I see something and stash it away. But I find that the gifts we give now have much more meaning.

    Those mice are so sweet. And sometime I must try to overcome my fear of pastry and make a tortiere. We had them in Quebec and so good!

    I know you had a beautiful Christmas because I'm reading backwards as I catch up. But now I wish you a very Happy, Peaceful, Healthy, Creative and Loving New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. And a hug right back to you sweet Monique...💛💙💜💚❤️

    ReplyDelete