Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Bread ..the staff of life...

 








The bread is Ricardo's no knead..for NYE I just wanted a small grazing/charcuterie board..so bread was called for..and I love warmed Naan for hummus etc..these Naans WORKED..I have tried others ..and the consistency was not right for me..

None other than Half Baked Harvest 's delicious recipe.

Oh I love her pics..food..videos:)


Twice in the past month I have tried sourdough starters to no avail..

Mind you our home is not kept at 80F..

I don't know why I am intent (obsessed..) at making a sourdough bread..the no -kneads are GREAT and crusty and holey and beautiful.

I have a few recipes..and vary but mostly I Ricardo it..


So I Googled and proofing boxes were like $180 US and discontinued..

My oven..the light is not warm enough..

So Jacques had an outdoor wall fixture..flat..so perfect to be on the counter..I had no storage bins that were empty(of course)..but we have buckets lol and a thermometer.

So it seems to work..my starters are so far no discard starters..only..

and mostly RYE flour and filtered water..my starter recipe was found here..

I have tried one dry starter to no avail..trying again thanks to two wonderful long time friends..Once it works..I'll come back :)


I found a beautiful feed on IG..actually my daughter Caroline found her on Tik Tok ..sent me a photo of a gorgeous bread and said make 2..well my no-kneads don't hold shapes like this at all  so I was determined and I had dear enablers  who had encouraged me and I had let them down..I had to persevere;)




So it's pretty but not high enough..It was good..had holes..but dense..I'll keep on till I get it:)I should have left it in fridge 24 hrs.

You can find Barb..on IG at Barbsbeautifulbread!If I add an IG link here my whole account appears...

Then I made Alexandra's Easy Sourdough Bread..




It's ok..but I want a way better crumb..lol..

and no knead is soooooo easy..but I love me a challenge.

I will keep at it because I have Hope In a Jar 3 under that bucket as I type and Dough-Re-Mi..:)


But..if you don't want all the fermentation periods apart from one overnight on the counter..Ricardo and all the other no-kneads ..then no kneads are great....are GREAT.


So funny why do I play with bread in DARK clothes and garden in pale?

Why don't I pull the oven rack out to lift the cast iron lid to check?It would be smart and then I would not burn the top of my mitts..


I need to re-adjust.




I don't like to say look what I have ..look what I got..except garlic and flowers and cookie cutters..but look what I received..the plushest warmest blanket..this is my journal..I lost most of the pics..starting over ..so I am taking 3 small liberties..It's full size..the quality of all pics is exceptional.Shutterfly.




And these handmade ornaments:)




On lockdown for an additional month here.
Took my x country skis out.
You know what happens when you have not done it in a few yrs..(we showshoe)..your balance is off and unlike being younger you are no longer fearless:(
Take care.









20 comments:

  1. Oh! All that bread looks delicious! I only use rye flour because it is the one that doesn't cause cravings. I can almost smell that bread from here. I used to have a lovely bread machine that gave up the ghost after many years...that was so good...too good, in fact! lol

    Good luck with the cross-country skiing. I am using the treadmill faithfully and so far/so good.
    Have a wonderful night- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Diana Jacques has used the treadmill for at least 25 yrs EVERY SINGLE MORNING>I applaud him..and you:) A little wary on skis so far..I used to be fearless now I'm fearmore;)

      Delete
  2. Your pretty ornaments, your blanket and your bread! Love it all. Be careful on the snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knoww..J fell..and he's taking a few days off the snow..not the treadmill..it's been about 3 yrs for us so we definitely have to get comfortable again.But we agree..careful,I mean bones break..hips..we don't want that.THANK YOU.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I would love to be walking the beach..not sure Fl will ever happen again at this rate:(

      Delete
  4. Oh, Monique, I'm so glad you showed the beautiful things you received. I can't imagine the number of hours into that ornament and the calendar is priceless.

    I have to laugh about your observations on the oven rack and the gardening/bread clothes.I don't know why, either, but I do the same thing. Especially the oven rack. And then where to you put it? I rush it to the front door stoop where it cools pretty fast these days! But I'm always afraid I'll burn something (or me) on the way out! (Rick said, "Why don't you put it just one rack space higher?" He's probably right, but it seems easier to boot it out the door!

    Your bread looks wonderful, especially that gorgeous loaf you said didn't get high enough. But it looks fabulous! All the bread does. Maybe I'll bake something today! You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your weather has been as lovely as ours the last few days:)
      baking and trying this starters(No mean feat lol) is therapy as you know:)
      But the sun's shining..I just painted a wee thing and I am listening to Spotify while J does his treadmill..lol we don't exercise the same muscles..my fingers must be fit:)
      Here's to better times:)

      PS it's a big blanket:)To keep me warm w/ memories of "funner" days♥
      Take care ..

      Delete
  5. I had a whole comment I was ready to post on my phone, and then I couldn't log in there for some reason! So here I am again :) You get double extra credit for perseverance! Finally you found a starter that likes it there. And, a homemade proofing box, Kudos to you and Jacques! BTW, you could never disappoint anyone for trying :) Oh my gosh, your bread looks beautiful! I have never had luck with scoring and you did a great job. Such a pretty bread tied in twine. I will have to check out her feed for sure! I love the strands showing in the second loaf too. I haven't made a boule or free form loaf (other that baguettes) in such a long while because I love the slicing loaves I've been making since summer. Can't wait to see what you come up with next Doughminique! LOL. So that's a blanket with the photos on it? How wonderful be cuddled in a blanket with your family. Socially distanced hugs in blanket form! What a sweet idea. I'm not sure what's harder, snow-shoeing or cross-country skiing? I finally took off my snow-shoes when we were at the lake last weekend and just walked on the lake with my ski poles and boots. It was much more comfortable for me and the snow wasn't deep. Just watch out for hills, no matter how small.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had such trepidation at slopes and I. Ean like 20 degree slopes.The older you get when you are out of practice you think of what could go wrong especially unsteady.It never the time for an injury..
      Today we walked..up the street..mail then back in our borrowed landscape.
      So one more month lockdown and curfew!
      It’s not good..oh lala..
      Yes a blanket and the quality is so nice.
      Barbara’s recipe is a scorer🙂Not really the other one..
      I think Hope has hope at last🙏
      I hope all is well..enough there..🤗🥰

      Delete
  6. The bread looks delicious. Those ornaments are so pretty. Love the blanket. It chilly here, nothing like the weather where you live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol..I am sure not...but so far it’s a temperate winter..Jacques is happy about that...

      Delete
  7. Mmmmmmm....like your bread ...it almost to beautiful to eat...we have also a lockdown since early December...I think they will make it longer ...it is what it is..being at home doing my things walk with Leaf is my only going out...so sad for everyone....but health is th only important thing in life....stay safe happy new year love from me 🍀💕🍀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never thought almost one yr later we would still be in this spot..the 8PM curfew doesnt bother me it's dark here by 5.. and I don't go out..
      Take care..xx

      Delete
  8. Your bread looks delicious! Glad you are not giving up on the starters! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol how many years has it been?:)I have tried and tried as you know..made one yesterday flat as a board;(Perseverance and patience:)

      Delete
  9. Oh that bread! Wholesome, earthy and gorgeous! I know about the skis. I used to love it soooo much. What kind of lock down do you have there? We don't have that here, but in my little town, things don't stay open at night anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of QC..total lockdown..Only essential things..food..etc..everything else cordoned off..work from home..NO ONE out after 8PM..that's all of QC.Montréal..la ville de Québec..tout.
      Only primary schools opened yesterday..and high school Monday.Masks everywhere in class also.
      My town has less than 5 cases..5000 citizens..
      We are small..

      This until Feb 8th at least.
      I am a scaredy cat now on skis:(

      Delete
  10. That nan bread was the best I’ve ever made. Of course it was too much for the two of us but I froze the leftovers and it freezes really well. Thanks Monique!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You saw my journey with sour dough. It can be very hit and miss, but your loaf looks beautiful! I plan on exploring it more once I am in my own place. I do love those no knead overnight breads however. You can't beat them for quick results! I have never cross country skied, however our Eileen did many years ago and won Gold Medals in the Special Olympics with it, even internationally. She was in great shape then! With all of the lockdowns, etc. a bit of exercise and an excuse to get out of the house to that end can never hurt! You are right, when we get older our fear-factor kicks in overtime! xoxo

    ReplyDelete