Tuesday, August 17, 2021

The changing looks of a garden~Quietly,slowly,surely.

 











Even though tons of pink and white phlox rise and shine and bloom at this time of year and straggling roses bloom too..most of the blooms are yellows and golds..as well as golden corn:)

Frédérick..Fred..one of our son-in-laws has a knack a real knack in the kitchen.
I've told you all before..he's a master in cooking..Caro is the baker.


It's corn season here..

In 2015 ..I know.. because I asked him for the recipe and he sent me his notes.. and I kept them..the thing is Fred often does what great chefs do..a bit of this a bit of that:)


So here is how I made it..I halved his recipe so it's as follows.

I made more corn than we needed.. and took the kernels off the cobs.3 were used for this recipe.. makes 4 portions.

 3 stripped  cobs went in a pot  with milk.. 2 cups milk w/ a tsp of chicken stock.. powdered or Better Than Bouillon....

I brought it to  a boil and let it simmer.. 

I removed the corn..and saved the rich broth.

I sautéed 3 strips of chopped bacon..until done..and removed..in that fat..yes fat..I had 1/2 a large finely chopped Spanish onion fresh off the farm..and one Yukon Gold potato.. diced..and 2 cloves of chopped garlic.. cook until the flavor of the bacon is in all that and onion is softened as well as garlic.

Return stock to pot and cook until potatoes are tender.. add your corn kernels from the 3 cobbs

Take about 1 cup of mixture..and transfer to a vessel that you can use an immersion blender in..Blend w/ your desired amount of canned chipotle pepper.( IN ADOBO)

I used 1..too much.. start w/ 1/4 and taste..I will do half next time.

Add 1 cup cream I used 10% ..most would use heavy cream.

Return all to the remaining ings on the stove..this serves as a thickener..but I must say mine was perfect..not thick..just right.

Adjust seasonings..salt and pepper.

Serve warm w/ chopped chives and the reserved bacon as garnish.

Although this serves 4 the 3 slices of bacon are only sufficient for 2.. so you are either going to cook more bacon for the rest or make more from the onset.


Fred's notes said butter can be added..It would make it deliciouser lol for sure..but I am rounder these days..lol so omitted the extra buttah;)

PS I know deliciouser is not a word.I take author's liberties here.


Another favorite here this summer since the air fryer..




It's so easy.

For your shrimp..pre-season a bit..

then dip in corn starch..egg white..panko that I add paprika s and p in.Set aside.

Preheat you air fryer at 400.

Spray shrimp w/ olive oil..you don't need much..a sweep.

380 F 5 minutes here.I don't flip..They are just fine like this darker on top but cooked and crispy under.

Prior to that..I make a sauce..mayo..sweet chili sauce and sriracha.

Look how quickly it all comes together.My fries are cheater fries..A great chain of restaurants..Baton Rouge..sells it's fries through Costco..We bake them.












Take care~

24 comments:

  1. The corn chowder sounds delicious and would make a fine meal on its own, with a slice of fresh bread alongside. Fun photos of your handsome grandsons. I am noticing how much sooner darkness falls and there are more hints of coolness in the night air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the light has changed..cooler nights..heat will return..I hope long enough for the tomatoes to ripen!Oh yes that soup is a meal on it's own!

      Delete
  2. Watching Audrey Hepburn - Gardens of the World: Flower Gardens made me think of you,, Monique ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a Life special on Audrey..a gift from Nancy to Jacques..going to look through it again:)

      Delete
  3. The dill garlic carrots look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ga..they are so good! My first time.. Adding th boiling brine to fresh garden carrots softens them just enough.Very good!

      Delete
  4. Your pictures are always so beautiful. The chowder sounds great, as does the shrimp. Your garden is looking wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a gardener yourself I'm sure you can tell how the clematis and other flowering things are done:(But some things still dot the gardens with color thank goodness!

      Delete
  5. Changes are coming. Lovely photos and your grandsons are such handsome young men. How nice to have a son in law who cooks. What a treat! The chowder looks so appetizing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a treat funny my son-in-laws are the gardeners too:)Maybe these things will interest my girls later in life I know I didn’t garden wth young children 😊Thank you..wish I had a pool for the boys like yours💞

      Delete
  6. Beautiful boys! Beautiful everything! Thanks for the chowder recipe! Almost exactly like the one I made before which for the life of me I can not find the recipe! Or my pics either! Thank Fred for me too!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found a recipe for clam and corn chowder for our upcoming gourmet menu! It is made very similarly with the corn cobs and buttah :) I don't think the chipotle would work with the clams though. We are so lucky with sons-in-law who cook! The dilly carrots must be wonderful and I need to try that shrimp recipe in our air fryer too! You have found some great air fryer recipes. I love those pics of Oli and Max! Such happy faces and so handsome, indeed! They sure lucked out in the hair department, just like their Nana. ♥ Your garden looks great and your yard neat as can be! Beautiful pics! The seeds on the nasturtium remind me of little pumpkins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Me too little pumpkins!I just saw Spoon Fork And Bacon posted a corn chowder on IG.You’re so fortunate to still have your Gourmet clan..Ever since I’ve known you!The carrots are a revelation!!
      Jacques mowed today..looks good but we need rain🙏🙏Every day threat of it and nothing!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, I'll check out their recipe too! Smaller group this year due to health issues for some :( But still going and I'm still working on the menu. Trying out a recipe tonight with Lauren here since Wes finally got to go to Canada fishing with his dad. Fingers crossed you get some rain soon!

      Delete
    3. Rain would feel so good..the sounnd of a heavy rain after drought is music to our ears..nothing.Enjoy the preps♥

      Delete
  8. We're starting to see some hints that fall is on the way, too. The light has changed, the air smells different, and many of our plants are starting to fade. I'm always a little bit sad to bid summer farewell, but I absolutely love fall, so it's all good.Thank you for the recipes! They look delicious. As always, your photos are perfection--and those grand boys get more and more handsome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam you are welcome for the recipes..my pleasure.I love fall too but it’s short and sweet.So fleeting it seems as our winter is long.Thank you re the boys too🙏

      Delete
  9. Oh, that chowder sounds fabulous! Thank you for sharing the recipe. I don't have an air fryer yet -- still thinking on it but the shrimp looks fabulous too -- and the mayo would be great with a lot of things!

    We just wrapped sunset here at 8:52 and on July 4 it was around 10. That said, the weather is warm and it's a perfect week weatherwise in the north --- days in the 80s, great for a swim, with cooler mornings and evenings.

    I love the photos of "your boys."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie..we've had oppressive grey humid hot weather with no rain..that yucky weather..:(Oh well I can't change that..no control..enjoy your weather!

      Delete
  10. I enjoy corn chowder a few times a year, and it must have bacon. Thanks for sharing the recipe! My sister made Bang Bang shrimp recently, and texted me that she is coming over with our lunch :-) It had the dipping sauce too. I am enjoying our air fryer, and have been experimenting. Joe's sister and her husband are here for the weekend from NYC, and I'm thinking of making a kale salad. Very humid here today (again), and some areas within 10 miles from us got flooded (sadly had to evacuate) due to the remnants of Hurricane Fred.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun!!
      Yes corn and clam chowders need bacon IMHO.I don't think I would like it otherwise.
      You must be wonderful hots:)
      Stinkin ' humid here !!

      Delete
  11. It's funny, I have the "Berries Country Garden Cookbook" from way back when... :) How did your pickled carrots turn out? I made some recently - they were ok but not out of this world. Any tips? xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We liked them..very much like a dill pickle..and softened with the brine..but a dill pickle is a classic♥

      Delete