Monday, October 4, 2021

It's October~Inside and Outside~

 










I am unabashedly posting the top pic because I unabashedly love it.

We were at 3 of the boys games on Sunday..and my daughter happened to take this photo of Max(14) and us.

We're really not that short..he' s just really tall..

That family has tall boys:)

Next Sunday will be Noah♥


Fall is definitely in the air now..

Not a heck of a lot of color yet..

but all the tomato plants are brown w/ bright tomatoes hanging from them..

I cleared them out today Sept 28th..maybe a bit earlier than usual..but because of the chillier nights the tomatoes were splitting I must have removed 30 cages.

I keep making roasted tomato sauce.I won't bore you w/ more photos!

But I will make again w/ this latest harvest .


A tip for nasturtium lovers..in pots mine peter out.

In the ground they go forth and prosper..even now.


That soup..  may I tell you it is my fave fall butternut squash soup.

I had it at someone's home 23 yrs ago..and she gave us all the recipe..I have it in her handwriting and was going to transcribe..

I have to add as a footnote..

I've loved and lost friends for various reasons through my almost 70 yrs..some through my youth and being bullied because of weight,moving..divorces.. disappointments.. 

and some were just aquaintances..and the person who gave me this after a dinner at her home..was an aquaintance.

How do you spell mean?

LOL.

Her.

But I loved her soup.

So glad I found it  on the web.

And so glad I kept true blues.


But hey! It's a Canadian Living recipe..and I found it online ..HERE

I use my immersion blender..no wine..but a generous splash of maple syrup.

And..I made some fun ricotta tomato tarts.

Little ind. puff pastry tarts.. basil leaves on bottom after blind baking the pastry..then ricotta mixed with garlic ..more basil and salt.Ricotta lacks salt.IMHO.

Then my beautiful garden fresh tomatoes with Gaby's Vinaigrette drizzled on top..♥

Then ..after this pic..I air fried for 4 minutes at 400 pre-heated..even better.

I love tole trays..and see that cute little balsamic vinegar necklace bottom right?


I have had it over 20 yrs from a friend ..

I think the best Italian Shop in Little Italy had more at the time..

I LOVE this shop.

Dante..


Coulda woulda shoulda.

Woulda bought some to offer as gifts..why shouldn't olive oil..balsamic vinegars NOT wear necklaces as cute as these♥

If you're bored and have nothing to do:)

You can read this.

So..I've had my fave camera for over 5 yrs..  thereabouts..a mirrorless Olympus and have numerous lenses..and I dont need most of them but love 3..

It's not working..the replacement camera is no longer available..repair..IF it works is 250 US plus shipping plus duty..NO guarantee.

3-4 months wait.

:(:(

I can't give up on Olympus mirrorless because of all my lenses.


Sooo..I went to my local camera shop..no..I would have to get the newest model and the reviews are not as good as mine..


What to do.

I Googled..and Googled ..and wow.

On Kijiji..

a brand new one.

This selling site is for IN person only but I bought something before from Ontario and they sent it to me.I just trusted them

THis was bigger..and in Toronto..not a small purchase..so we talked back and forth..and one of my daughter's said mom I'll drive you there..I mean how NICE is that?

So I offered the seller to meet halfway 3 hrs for her 3 for me..and then out of the blue..she said her brother was coming to MTL.

He met us 20 mins from my home.

NICE NICE young man.

Done..

Olympus OMD 5 Mk11 body only bis..is here.

In Europe bis mean the same as the first  ..so if you live at 64  next door could be 64 bis;)

Bis is here.

I have to get used to it I had my other programmed..



The End.

Have a good week it's so fall here.

But grey the last few days..



I had a wonderful visit from a friend I met over 40 yrs ago.

It felt like 40 yrs ago.

With our scars of years of living and a recent very deep sorrow for her.

With all her pain..she managed to make me laugh.

I mean..♥How do you spell nice.






33 comments:

  1. Love the football picture. The soup and tart sound wonderful! Glad you got the camera you wanted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THank you..Oh I was too! I get used to things lol and people:)

      Delete
  2. The mark of a true friend is that you can meet together after 40 years and it is as if no time has passed. What a great blessing for you and for her. Your grandson is so tall! I am amazed! Wow and only 14. Love the soup, the tarts, and love that you were able to get a replacement for your camera which blesses all of us with the beautiful photos that you take and share. Happy October! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to change my sidebar to OCT:) Late on that..The fact that she made us laugh through all her pain..is unbelievable.She has many many many friends..here..in Texas..Fl..and Maine..
      well loved..My circle..isn't a circle even:)Thanks Marie!

      Delete
  3. That first pic with your grandson made me smile. Don't we want to keep them close beside us...always? No matter how many birthdays pass, or how tall they become, they will always be our precious ones. Very happy for your new camera. If anyone deserves a good one, you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam sooo true...we want them by our sides:) AS you know that particular family has lived acrosss the street since before the eldest now 16 was born.
      Well they are moving.It was a shock to our sytems Jacques and I..the night she told us..as it happened in a nanosecond..you know what the market is like..I think Jacques and I didn't sleep..:(
      When my friend was she said where are they moving to..I told her the area.. with expletive words(I love that about her) she said:"MOVING:? That's not MOVING it's like 5 mins on the highway(14.1 to be exact)..it's not Tokyo! She said when you said moving..I thought you meant moving.I am so happy for my family..I think the boys being gentle giants their home started feeling smaller than it is,because it's not..lolWe have been incredibly lucky to have them this long across the street..And my friend made us laugh yet again:)

      Delete
  4. I know exactly what you mean about friendships and aquaintances. So blessed to have my children and grandchildren near to be part of their lives.
    Like you, I try to be extra stylish when I am with my grandsons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isnt' that so funny?:) I like to always be put together even at home..but I know at games all their friends are there etc..so for some reason I try to take even more time lol..:) It's like being in love for the first time every time I see them♥

      Delete
  5. Love that first photo. Our grandchildren are younger than yours, but the time I spend with them is so, so precious. They make me laugh and they make me proud. The soup looks delicious. Canadian Living's recipes are usually great. Enjoy October days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too! And don’t they just make our hearts swell?So much love for thos grands so much.That’s my biggest blessing ..s the last 16 plus years.

      Delete
  6. Monique, I love the photo of the three of you! Something about an image of three together taken from behind. It speaks volumes of love!
    I love all your photos! Your boys are going up. Such fun and special to have followed their childhood though your posts. I know you are sad to see them move, but yet life has a way of changing with the years. I'm in a season of change. It's difficult for my being. I don"t like change, but yet I find myself content in letting go of things. 😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no other way than being pliable and accepting..
      These are much easier things to accept than important health or happiness issues.
      We will be fine🙂🙂🤗

      Delete
  7. Such a cute photo of you three. Where did the time go? The boys are growing up so fast and so tall.
    Congrats on the camera. It’s nice to know we will be blessed with your exceptional photos. The soup looks delicious. In fact, I went to the store and bought everything I need to make this soup. Happy Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just made another pot this AM.:)Thank you Linda..Funny re the camera..I had fiddled w/ mine for yrs so my function buttons etc were all like custom made lol.Once the shutter dies on a camera it won't even power up..so I'm painstakingly trying to reprogram my second hand new cam;)Hope you enjoy the soup..J likes a big splash of maple syrup lol;)

      Delete
  8. I unabashedly love that photo too! ♥♥♥ Such a wonderful moment in time that Caro captured. The past two days have been damp, windy and chilly here also but we had warm weather last weekend and it looks like more of the same for this weekend so my tomatoes keep ripening, thankfully. One variety is cracking though as you mentioned. Your soup and tarts both look so delicious and such photos. I'm so glad you found a replacement for your camera and didn't have to drive 3 hours! She was a good sport for even considering driving that far to sell her camera. What good luck that her brother was coming your way. Meant to be :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure she was considering driving;)In retrospect her brother would have eventually come to MTL as he studies and rooms at Concordi a Mtl university.He was a treat to meet.Charming..smart..funny..he and J both drive the same car ..his was a 2 door..In common=ease of talk.
      Yes just getting to relearn what to assign functions to..A learning curve.We're having our Indian Summer..Planted my garlic and planted some tulips..
      That tip that man gave me about not brushing off and cleaning before planting? NEVER again..lol we should just stick to what works for us.I can be so impressionable.My pears were cracking the most.Bought our first Costco tomatoes yesterday.Have a good weekend Peax

      Delete
  9. "We're really not that short..he' s just really tall.." You made me laugh! Several of my friends have switched to Olympus. And they like that they can do in camera double exposures. I think yours can too. If I were to start over I would go Olympus too. Enjoy. And how lucky that it was practically delivered to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look A! Thanks for the tip..mine's an older but I'll check:):)
      You take fantastic pics ..I think you are set:)

      Delete
    2. And I think the newer Olympus also do focus stacking.

      Delete
  10. Wonderful photos, Monique. I'm really enjoying this precious season and all the rich colors.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fall..although fleeting is stunningly beautiful♥

      Delete
  11. Such a wonderful photo! :) Looking forward to trying your squash soup. Jon makes a good one every fall with a few toasted (in butter!) pine nuts sprinkled on top...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That has to be sooo good.I love pine nuts and toasted in butter..:)♥

      Delete
  12. Your photos are exquisite and I enjoyed reading your post about friends over the years. so true. The soup looks great and I will clicking to get the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much..And your comment on friendship too:)

      Delete
  13. Oh, I'm so glad you could see your friend. That had to be just wonderful, catching up after all that time. And I know what you mean about that top photo. I love it more than I can say. All the good food, lovely photos and wonderful camera story -- they make me sile. (Apart from mea acquaintance, but hey -- can't knock the soup!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! So funny re that girl..I knew from the get go.And her brother told me I was right..and a few yrs later she showed her true colors.
      Oh lala.
      Thank God for the nice ones.I never thought of her as a friend thou:)Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  14. I always gasp when I look at your pictures. They are so beautiful. You are such a talented photographer. Seeing photos that remind me of autumn make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. The book, Flower Fairies of Autumn, looks like one that bears investigation. I also think I need to try your tarts. I pulled three tomatoes in from outside, and have five more coming. It has yet to cool off here, hitting close to 90° today and going up to 91° tomorrow, so things are still growing. As much as I love to continue to harvest vegetables, I am ready for cool weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have such a green thumb Pattie..:)I've enjoyed watching you grow things..bake things and create things..:)Thank you for all of it.

      Delete