Friday, December 29, 2023

Auld Lang Syne.

  The only skier in my neck of the woods.. But how cute is he? 

For years and years this girl and I have been sharing ornaments etc..

She sent me this cute thing this year:) I call him Jean-Claude Killy:)

My girls..always peek at the ornaments..they know every year  something new is added:) I think I gave the girls 4 this yr.. 2 hand made..2 bought..a certain gnome grabbed my heartstrings last yr..so I bought one for my girls..myself and  Susan..


My friend Sarah and I exchange also..



 My friend Nancy sent me this book.I had no idea how popular it was  as  I had never heard of it.I read the whole thing one afternoon..author is 90.
She started The French Laundry..amongst many other resto venues..Thomas Keller bought it from her.

I want you to look at how she writes a recipe..Should it not always be this way?
I think so..
Just look at the logistics.



Linda who does not blog anymore but is on IG inspired me to learn Jewish cooking.I made my first latkes..divine..and a new cabbage dish..




My first latkes.




This summer one of our daughters took this pic of us.. 100 yrs ago she had t-shirts printed one was too small so I got it..It's of the boys in Fl..I had taken the photo..and she gifted us with them..so one night this summer we decided to wear them..The difference in the boys,,well you can see.And they have since grown again.We are so small beside them.
She gave me this light up frame for Xmas and placed the photo in it:)



I love it:)

 My daughter has a few trees in their new home..this one is so pretty when you walk in..The boys were having their photo taken..one of many.and I snuck in I need memories.I hate being photographed..Hate it.

But I want to look back..



My boys:)

All of them:) 




Christmas eve was at my daughter's home..we were 14..Fred cooked a turkey AND a crown roast..we were full:) All my daughter's charcuterie board(she is magic).  appetizers...salad..a different meat pie..stuffing..and my daughter's desserts.We were stuffed.

It was lovely.And weather was like in the Carolinas..what's up with that..

Christmas morning is here..for gifts and brunch..PJs..all in pjs..

This yr instead of setting up xtra tables etc.I did a buffet.

Everything was eaten up..next yr.. two large quiches..not one..and double the scones and double the smoked salmon,bagels and cream cheese ..cretons and bacon jam.. I had enough.But the quiches and the rest not nearly enough.

Those boys are so appreciative of what I cook.God love 'em.

They have appetites..My desserts ..were somewhat eaten but my boys are foodies..more than desserties. The muffins..(choco chips) were enjoyed..I sent Caro home with5 I think..they were all in the mood for less sugar more savoury..J's bacon..gone..so fast.

That's all I want for Christmas....to see their faces.

My daughters are funny and kind.. they fill a stocking for me:)




I like everything sparkling for Xmas morn..even my mom's silver.

Best trick.. a pail.. aluminium foil.. the utensils..baking soda..boiling water.

Shine on.

They are so finicky to polish one by one..

I love this method.

I have two new beautiful aprons(not bragging..grateful) I tried selfies.. deleted them all..LOL

Not feeling very selfie..ish.. I should have settled for those;)

They are beautiful.

Thoughtfulness:)


Have you watched Maestro? Fabulous..fabulous acting.





And The Sound Of Freedom? I love James Caviezel..and this movie ..really shocks..


So troubling.. Child slavery..Children stolen and sold to pedophiles.

I was surprised to read the controversies now coming out surrounding this Tim Ballard ..

Gérard Dépardieu is not faring any better.When I saw the footage of all his disgusting actions and manners..

He is really not to be admired.


We have had a bleak scenario here rain..fog..our properties are messy and muddy..I know others have had flooding:(

On this cheery note..

I wish you  and yours a healthy New Year.Comfort to those that are sad..Happiness to those who could need a good dose of it..Resolution to things that need resolve..Friendship to those who could use a friend.

Peace.

Love.







27 comments:

  1. Such a lovely post from beginning to end! Love the photo of you and your grandsons on the stairs.I never like myself in photos and forget about selfies!!! Speaking of photos, my daughter gifted me with an AURA frame. You load your favorite photos from your phone & it continually scrolls through them. Others can send photos to you. I love it. I love it, great for those who have limited space. I watched ARCHIE about Cary Grant. I was a big Cary Grant fan and had no clue about the miserable childhood he had…but then he was a miserable person. MAESTRO is on my list as is MADAME BLANC CHRISTMAS SPECIAL. Also waiting patiently for the new season of EMILY IN PARIS!!! Our family plans to travel to Paris in May have been finalized. Can’t tell you how excited I am to share the city I love so much with my two grandsons. Monique, I wish you and your family a Happy and Healthy 2004.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ga that trip in May:) Oh my goodness:) Daughter and son-in-law also? What a fabulous thing to look forward to.The Aura frame sounds neat!I didn't know Cary Grant was a miserable person..Ill bee looking into that:)Thank you for your good wishes:)

      Delete
  2. Your little skier and felted birdie put a smile on my face...a good way to start the day! And those pictures of you and your gang, oh my! The boys have become men. I love the one on the stairs with you sitting at their feet. It sounds like you had a wonderful Christmastime with family all around. I loved ours, too. At one point, we were knee-deep in gift wrap and tissue paper as our little girls unwrapped their presents. So much fun. Loved seeing them smile. A big yes to the format of Six California Kitchens! Straightforward.

    Monique, I had to re-read your last line several times. Your heartfelt wishes beautifully stated. May all of us aspire to be the people God created us to be. Happy New Year to you and your lovely family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And may he keep us in the palm of his hand :)Knee deep in tissue:) One day a year:) I must say I have been watching Christmas Hauls on tik tok etc..and some are ridiculous..Louis Vuittons.. Cars.. Hermes..like who cares?I would probably keep cookie cutters in an Hermes bag:) I have no desire nor need for such luxury.I agree every recipe should be formatted this way:) Have a great year:)Fingers crossed.

      Delete
  3. Here in my happy zone because I'm reading your post. What a lovely Christmas. Your boys -- young and old -- are all now handsome men and I love the photos and the t-shirts, too. That stair shot is a gem and I'm glad you put yourself in the picture! That's really meaningful, now and someday. The ornaments are charmers and I'm pleased to see another cookbook that writes recipes like I do. (Julia sort of does that, too. It just makes the most sense!) I had forgotten that silver polishing method and really need to do that again. I can't remember the quantity of soda per volume of water. I'm sure it must be online somewhere. Your dinner sounds fabulous and breakfast, too. What a splendid brunch. Isn't our weather totally bizarre? We drove home Christmas morning in dense fog and later in the day, sunny and in the 50s. To be honest, I liked it but it's also a bit scary! "Maestro" is at the top of my movie list for this season! I'm glad you liked it -- I have high hopes. Most of all, I loved your wish for us all in the new year. Exquisitely phrased. And now, we move onwards. Happy New Year, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too..ONWARDS. Ill check Julia..I guess I had forgotten..makes so much sense..This woman is like the bomb..Intrepid moved all those times..raised 6 kids loved her hubby:) A sweet read in a cookbook.I just poured some lol didn't measure..Just remember shiny side up of the foil;) WEIRD weather is right..no snow and gloom..

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas Monique! I have enjoyed all of the photographs, especially the one with you and your boys. I don't know why, but I don't like having my photograph taken at all. If I was as pretty and petite as you are I would not mind one bit! You are a beautiful woman inside and out. Love the ornaments and the cookbooks. Your latkes look perfect. Here is to a wonderful 2024. May it be kind to us all! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even younger hated having my photo taken I think you are either meant to be in back of a camera or in front:) Thank you Marie..thanks for everything you shared this year.I was a tad flabbergasted at having commented on a post that everyone would enjoy the recipe and the poster said its a family secret. Something I do not understand unless you are running a cooking school etc..and even then people share recipes.. Anyway obviously I still dont get it..lol..Look at everything you and others share;)May it be kind!:)xo

      Delete
  5. A charming last 2023 blog M. I cannot believe this is your 1st time making latkes. I only make them with zucchini or cabbage now to spare the carbs. I can't believe how tall the grands are now!
    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gentle giants..as we shrink lol they grow..I have been missing out..clearly..on latkes:). YUM.We never fry..it was worth it:)

      Delete
    2. I ony use the air fryer. Very waistline friendly.

      Delete
  6. Your ‘Littles’ are now GIANTS! Parisbreakfast

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, a most delightful post!….love your photos, all!… especially those so you and your dear family…thank you for sharing and I wish you and all your darlings a most healthy, safe and happ,happ,happy New Year….2024, who’d a thunk…?
    You are a dear. xo, V.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2024 is right.Who'd a thunk for certain.I wish you all the very best of everything dear gil.xoxox

      Delete
  8. Don't you just love latkes :-) Joe's sister (that lives in California) is married to a Jewish man, and our whole family from New York was invited to their house for Christmas/Hanukah one year so we all flew out and enjoyed latkes. I remember her serving them with a blueberry topping and an applesauce topping. My first time eating latkes, and I loved them. Sweet photo of you and J with your gentle giants, and of course they enjoy your cooking. Start doubling everything :-) Love all your photos, and it's so nice to exchange ornaments. Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find ornaments are the sentimental gifts that keep on giving:) That's fun flying to California for latkes:)Happy New year to you and yours too.Happy Trails:)

      Delete
  9. I'm so glad you got in the photo with your boys! What a lovely, big family and great pictures!!You certainly had a lovely Christmas. Jean Claude Killy...♥ I must try your bucket silver tip. I still do each one individually and it takes forever. What a great idea, Merci! I haven't made ladkes for such a long time but I do love them...and the ones made with grated zucchini too. So delicious. I had to look up what was going on with those two men. Yikes! I keep saying we need to try Netflix but it seems we don't watch that much television these days but I love Bradley Cooper. Now that the holidays are almost over..maybe then! Happy New Year, My Dear Friend! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year my dear friend:) Thank you for this past year:)And all the others.I loved your Christmas reel:)x Oh try the silver thing.I guarantee you it is stellar.I cant do large pieces but the silverware cutlery ..ideal .I use a plastic thing from a hardware store..or dollar store.. perhaps 12x14..lay the foil shiny side up lay cutlery sprinkle baking soda.. then pour boiling water..let sit..You will be amazed.I move it around a bit f I see some areas are not getting as clean.

      Delete
  10. Such a wonderful post filled with lovely ornaments shared between friends, your grown up grandsons, fabulous recipes and beautiful photo memories to be treasured. Wishing you a happy, healthy and bright new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you the very same! ..Do you exchange ornaments also? I find its the perfect little gift.I am not great at receiving..I don't know why..But an ornament..is just right.I do that with my girls every yr.. I love giving them ornaments.I have two stepgrandchildren that are adults..and wonderful people..with jobs and careers and success..and partners.So that's what I started doing..an ornament.Because what do you give adults? They have everything:)To me..having to shop and buy something that is probably left in a drawer..just feels wrong? WEird I am..And gift certificates..they have soo much lol.

      Delete
  11. Awwww..Just quiet here..In Pjs early and tv:) My fave kind of NYE;) Happy New Year Jain.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Monique, your friendship across the miles is the gift that keeps on giving! I love seeing this post! Makes me smile! You know I delight in every ornament you have made me, and the treasured paintings! The Christmas tree on the beach sits framed on a shelf all season. You are extremely talented, though you would never think that of yourself. You are so modest! Each of your paintings are framed and sitting here and there - the one of me and my sister a true favorite!
    I'm amazing at those boys! They have grown into young men, no longer the littles that used to run about your home and garden. I love that you joined in on the stairs for the photo. Photos are special memory banks. Very important documents! Cute of you and J and the boys. Yes, they dwarf you two!
    Christmas Eve and Christmas morning must bring much joy to each family. Simple times together! Just the best!
    Quiet here. I've spent my holidays with friends yet most of the time it's been me relishing the quiet reflective moments. It's my way of being with Monnie. It feels comforting!
    Happy New Year to you and the family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand the depth of your words re being with Monnie:). Im not a merriment NYE gal..Newly married Caro and Fred had NYE parties..THose I liked..Because I was with family.I'm just not a party girl lol.I love that we have each others things here and there to remind us of each other.My Christmas brunch table your Mother Of Pearl antique spoon served the bacon jam..Little things here and there:) Here's to a comforting new year.xoxo

      Delete
  13. You are so tiny next to those grand boys! Our eldest granddaughter is now taller than I am and I just cannot believe it. Where did the years go?
    What a brilliant way of writing a recipe. Yes, all of them should be that way.
    Like you, we gathered together for Christmas and everyone brought food to share and it was lovely. Family times are the best! We are so blessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we are.I never take it for granted:)I think adolescents are taller tan before and lovelier than before.Young girls look like beauties..and young men too.I don't remember anyone I knew growing up being as gorgeous as these girls lol.We just ordinary..

      Delete