Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A Different Polpettone~



Many years ago..italian friends made us Marcella Hazan's Polpettone..`From The Classic Italian Cookbook~ We loved it..the book was not available..but I found it online at a second hand bookstore in NYC I think..I wish I had kept the name..

So I continued to make Marcella's Polpettone and truly enjoyed it..
A little while ago.. I was browsing through my Maria Loggia book..and found a recipe for Rolled veal and spinach..which reminded me so much of Marcella's but more beautiful..more colorful~


I love making these.. like a rolled cake..but the main dish~

I didn't have veal and I know it will be even better with veal..but I did have lean beef..and made it with that..

You mix your meat with home made breadcrumbs..garlic, eggs.. parsley,seasonings..
Then you roll flat to a rectangle ap 1/2 inch thick.. and top~

~I used her suggested wilted,and squeezed dried spinach mixed with eggs and cheese
~ Our home made roasted red peppers sliced thinly
~ I reconstituted lovely dried mushrooms..so flavorful
~ Jacque's prosciutto
~Thinly sliced marinated artichoke hearts..drained.
~ And should have added black olives but I was in a rush to get outside..

Top with fresh mozzarella..and roll..and pinch all seams..for the goodness to stay in..
I baked mine for ap 20 mins wrapped in foil to keep it nicely formed.. then unwrapped and continued baking for the total suggested time of ap 70 mins..
Broiled for a few minutes.. then lest rest for 10..I couldn't wait the 15.. and it's not 80 degrees here..what's the purpose of lovely warm plates if you put cold food on top?

I did not need a sauce..to me this was packed with deliciousness.. Serve whatever side dishes you think would go well~If you need a tomato sauce.. it would be nice also.Or a roasted red pepper coulis would be lush~


It makes a nice large roll with her suggested 2 lbs of meat.. I used ap 1 lb 5 ounces.. Jacques and I had it for dinner..I kept 2 slices..and there was enough to share for another dinner..Marcella's is still a classic..delicious unforgettable meal..but it's nice to have a different type~ Adventure!
Keeper~

28 comments:

  1. magnifique , quelle bonne et belle idée , ça donne vraiment envie et , ça me donne plein d'idée, c'est vrai qu'avec du veau ça peut être très bon , ou m^me un mélange de veau et bœuf ou agneau et bœuf et pour la farce, tout est possible , ton assortiment est superbe

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good...I was just looking through my old Marcella Hazan books the other day...she is always current for me...
    You just made me so hungry!
    Have a good day today Monique!
    L~xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really beautiful. I'm sure it tastes as good as it looks. The color is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ate not long ago and I thought not being hungry any more but when I see your photos, I would indeed, hand on table at once, it is so tasty !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonjour Monique, c'est très appétissant mais j'ai besoin d'une suggestion car chez moi le prosciutto n'est pas beaucoup apprécié (surtout par mes ados). Est-ce que tu penses que je pourrais le remplacer par autre chose.
    J'ai donc besoin de ta sagesse, ;0).

    Passe une belle journée.
    Josée
    Bisous

    PS: Je ne sais pas si tu as vu mon message mais j'ai une petite surprise pour toi sur mon blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rolled like a cake, but the main dish? Perfect! A dessert for the main :) I would skip a sauce too. What type of dried mushrooms did you use? The colours are so happy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Jacque's prosciutto" ----> the ingredient that put it over-the-top
    delicious. :)

    So well executed Monique, I really like Marcella's recipes too. I've made a Spanish version that is similar; stuffed and rolled. But I would love to try this version, different flavors entirely. And look how beautifully you've photographed it. Excellent! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another great meal! I'll be making this one. It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh mon doux que ça a l'air bon ! je note :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks amazing - it has such beautiful colours! What a gorgeous idea, I adore the flavours. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. adoro il polpettone!! il tuo è davvero invitante!

    ReplyDelete
  12. adoro il polpettone!! il tuo è davvero invitante!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never made one before and I'm intrigued. It sounds like a wonderful meal - especially with Jacque's prosciutto!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with Mari, Jacques Prosciutto did put it over the top. It sounds delicious. I wish I had some now!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hard to believe that meat can turn out so beautiful! And it sounds pretty easy too - except of course I don't have Jacques' proscuitto.

    I have that Marcella Hazan cookbook, so I'll look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful...food and photo, I'm starving!!!!
    Made our fav. chicken, chestnut casserole for dinner,,,I can smell it cooking.
    I have most of the ingredients to try this dish of yours...except J's prosuitto. I'll have to settle for storebought I guess...not even close I'm sure.
    A very beautiful dish,
    xoxo~Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Monique, this is a very nice roll, like the idea of adding roasted peppers...looks absolutely delicious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Je n'ai jamais vu ce plat. Que cela à l'air délicieux.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an elegant meal, and so beautifully presented. I've never made this so my family is in for a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so pretty and looks so darn tasty! I have this one bookmarked! Thanks for the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mega..I just read an older post about pillows:) Your blog is really nice..You are busy!

    Tyler ..I think you are going to love this life and have a great following:)I see stars in your future..

    Thank you..it is a nice twist on the old fashioned classic..I even like it cold..I remember being served cold eggplant parmigiana sandwiches at a friends..for a road trip..oh my gosh it was great cold too!
    Have a wonderful day and thanks for the nice comments~

    ReplyDelete
  22. I agree, a sauce would've been unnecessary with all the flavors mingling in this beautiful beef roll!

    I know I would enjoy this, no matter what the plate said. And as always, dear Monique, I love every picture, even the victim's.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful. and I love the colours..bright and cheery! I can imagine how delicious it is.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Celle-là aussi, elle me plaît ! C'est beau, coloré et rempli de mes saveurs préférées ...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, Monique, leave it to you to come up with the perfect combination of ingredients for this. It looks perfect. Now where oh where are we going to get Jacques' prosciutto? Sigh...

    Thanks for this recipe, and for the photos. Love the vache!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh WOW! That looks so cool. Very impressive. Honestly, I am amazed at how talented you are. Love seeing what you are cooking in the kitchen. That is honestly one beautiful piece of meat.

    ReplyDelete
  27. OK, you got me at Jacques prosciutto!
    These are a must to make. I don't know why I haven't tried them,
    I have the Marcella Hazan book and refer to it often. It is a classic...and that's no bull ;-)

    Thanks!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete