Thursday, October 30, 2014

Halloween~










Halloween~  is right around today's corner..

It's my friend A's birthday.. we met on Gardenbuddies and have stayed in touch.
I never forget her birthday..because..well it's Halloween..
Nothing frightful about her..all goodness..and talent.
Great mom..
One of the best photographers I know.
And a school nurse:)
How good is that:)

I am a muffin person more than a dessert person.
A favorite thing for me to do..is not to go out to restos for dinner..but to stop at lunch and get a coffee and a muffin somewhere charming.And treasure the moment~

Or ..at home.

Our homes are charming to us..
Is there never a time you get home from the city..or a trip..
..walk into your dear  home..or apartment.. and think..and say:
"I just love it here".Far from the crowd..away from it all..
Up a colorful street..or around a pleasant corner..or up a few familiar steps.
It's got the people I love in it..or close by..memories..souvenirs.. books..kitchen stuff..paints..ribbons..stamps..flower pots..a cozy bed..a quilt..a bath,shampoo,picture frames..warm socks..water,food.
We are the lucky ones.

 Getting back to muffins..
I had found the cute downloads here..look how adorable  she made her cupcakes.

I love printables..send them off to Bureau En Gros(Staples) and pick them up..
I wanted to use of some of our still crisp delicious apples..and Googled for a new Apple muffin recipe..
I found the one I altered here~
Really good.. w/ a cup of tea or coffee..as the leaves continue to fall..
They are hanging by a shoestring now except for our neighbor's large oak..

La Recette

Adapted by me.
Make sure your ings are room temp..in my case I had to soften the butter.
Read through the whole recipe before starting:)
12  muffin wrappers
Muffin pan


Pre-Heat oven to 375F


2 cups of flour + 2 tsps flour** (see chopped apples)
1 stick of butter
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
 2 tsps of cinnamon..plus more for topping...and the chopped apples
1 tsp cardamom..plus a touch more for the chopped apples
1/4 cup milk
 1/4 cup apple sauce
2 cups chopped apples coated in the 2 tsps of flour..and  add a touch of cinnamon and cardamom..
2 tsp pure vanilla extract

Topping
 1/4 cup melted butter
 1/4 cup sugar a few piches of vanilla sugar
 2 tsps cinnamon
 1/2 tsp cardamom

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy
Beat in eggs one at a time
beat in vanilla

Sift  the 2 cups of flour, baking powder, salt together with cinnamon and cardamom..
gently fold into the butter mixture alternately with  1/4 cup of milk and 1/4 cup of apple sauce that you have mixed together beforehand..(That's why I say read everything first:) )
Gently fold in your chopped apples that you have coated w/ flour and spices..

Fill your 12 muffin cups
Bake for ap 30 mins until a toothpick comes out clean.
Meanwhile melt your butter and mix your sugar,cinnamon and cardamom..
Once the muffins have cooled a bit.. brush the tops w/ the melted butter and dip in the sugar mixture..

Add toppers..
Or a candle to sing Happy Birthday to Arlene~.


PS..I also love salads..in oranges:)
Bon Weekend~




39 comments:

  1. Que preciosidad de paisaje, y que bonito todo. Me encantan los pastelitos y las etiquetas.
    Besos

    lagalletarota.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Halloween Monique. If I trick-or-treat at your door, would I get one of your delicious apple muffins? I loved Halloween as a child and our neighbors welcomed us in their homes and always had homemade goodies. Things have sure changed since the fifties. I read recently that if you bring food to school to serve to the kids, it can't be homemade anymore. Think what they miss today.

    We love to travel, but the best part for me is coming home. I think to really appreciate what you have, it's necessary to be away from the people and the things that you love to really appreciate them. Have a lovely weekend my friend.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Sam!!
      It's supposed to be freezing and chance of snow for the trick or treaters!

      Delete
  3. Oh, how sweet is your tribute to your friend & your celebration of Halloween~ and I don't just mean the pastries! Yes, I feel that way about my home, yes, love it, yes.... Thank you, Monique, for the Halloween Happiness, Rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. The orange is so cute. We'll have our first freeze Halloween night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love yours muffins Monique!!l
    I love muffins!
    Happy halloween!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too..My friends are going to Chile in january..where they were born..:)

      Delete
  6. Monique, your muffins are definitely a Sweet Ending! And yes, yes, yes…….your sentiments about home reflect my thoughts precisely. You have expressed it perfectly! Loving the orange jack. How cute is that!!!
    Happy Halloween, my friend………Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. These muffins sound just the thing for a family get together breakfast. ( I say family, as other wise it would be me who would be eating them ) As we'll be spending the Christma holiday in Denmark, I hink I'll try these for our family at Christmas. The Danes make such wonderful cinnamon spiced cakes for B/fast. I'm sure they'll like this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara..That sounds like an exciting Christmas!!
      I am making the lemon poppyseed ones for Christmas..
      I am happy you will have such a fun Christmas!

      Delete
  8. Happy Birthday to Arlene! It's so true - even though we love to go out for dinner it's nice to come home to our cozy little house. I love this recipe with apple sauce and apples. I'll bet my boys would love them too. Next time they're over :) Pinning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We made nice friendships at Gardenbuddies:) I love your new pic..keep forgetting to tell you..
      Pretty girl:)

      Delete
  9. Joyeux Halloween à vous ~
    Cette petite décoration éphémère et naturelle est très sympathique ! Je craquerais aussi bien pour vos muffins.

    Passez une bonne journée !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Boo! Happy Halloween! Those muffins look fabulous! I must try the recipe!
    Happy Birthday to Arlene!
    Bisous xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely homey post M. Just as I would expect from you. Thanks for the birthday shout out and the fabulous home made card and custom made envelope. Keepers. You are always the thoughtful and crafty friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy halloween, i just love all your special little touches to everything, how you decorate for holidays and your list of treasures and comforts of home are wonderful. ooh and coffee and a muffin in a little cafe sounds perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful presentations as always Monique! I love them. I have never thought of sending things to staples for printing. I will have to look into that. With the cost of ink and paper these days, it might be worth my while. I expect you will be having a spooktacular day today with all your little ghouls! I wish Halloween were big over here, but it just hasn't caught on like it is in North America, although it is a lot better now than it used to be! Happy Halloween!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So reasonable Marie.compared to our ink..do look into it!

      Delete
  14. Oh, Nana! I am certainly going to make those apple muffins today! I doubt I will get a witch and ghost (and the princess from Frozen) - we are a little far from town, but will see the little school parade in the afternoon on Main Street. That's the sweetest tradition here, and one I treasure. Happy Halloween, Nana!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such fun! I'm mad for your scarecrow! We don't get very many trick or treaters here, which is too bad because it's fun to see the costumes. I remember many Halloweens in Michigan when the kids had to put snowsuits under their costumes. Hope that doesn't happen to you!
    Clever idea with the orange, Monique. the muffins look delish.
    Also cute spooky muffins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't get many either..the lots are bigger than normal..my daughters both go where our eldest daughter lives..and it is a cold one!

      Delete
  16. Happy Halloween! our is tonight. Love your picture of the red and yellow trees so beautiful, also just printed the muffin recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope you like it..I made one of Dories..with a crumb top that I added apples to..and those were the bomb:-)
    That's our street...I am fond of it:-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great idea with the orange... So clever!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How sweet of you to remember Arlene's bday. She is so talented with her camera but you don't do so bad yourself. I have read the last three posts to your blog and enjoyed them all. The muffins look delicious. Those Apple cake recipes sound yummy too. Hope you had a happy Halloween with the grandsons and the little ones in the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOVE the orange-pumpkin too..I could manage that here.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fun photos you have here. I hope you had a wonderful Halloween yesterday!

    Hugs,

    Yelena

    ReplyDelete
  22. What wonderful Halloween ideas you have Monique. I am going to download those cupcake toppers. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saved a few of your recipes last night :)
      You are a great cook!

      Delete
  23. Heavenly muffins and delightful pictures!

    I hope you had a wonderful Halloween.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have been looking for a similar recipe that I made years ago when the kids were small. It was from either Woman's Day or Family Circle in the early 80's. Now I can make yours. Thank you. Lovely blog.

    Vicky

    ReplyDelete