Thursday, October 29, 2020

This and that~

 

















That first photo..our 2021 calendar..got to me when I saw it this summer..Lucas is our eldest grandson..15..They were in Sandbanks when his mom snapped this pic.
It's the essence of Lucas.
I love it..so how appropriate was it for my cover page..I simply added the text.
Apart from being diligent and respecting rules..at the moment..this is life.
I don't see Christmas happening now..
If it does it will be outside in snow... in coold weather with coats, 6 feet apart.
I don't know anyone personally who has had it..Knock on wood..
And hope to God it stays that way.
But feel so bad for those that have it..or had it.
All our politicians are in hot water.
Ours are..
I don't want to talk about other countries..etc.
I try and keep those opinions to myself...who knows what should be done?:(

That little lunch we had above?
So good.
I pretended I was in a bistro in France.
The recipe was from the Lemon Apron.
You can find it here..
I could eat this often.
I used my bread..Ricardo's beautiful bread..and the rest I did the same.. a few crumbled walnuts would be very good on them too.


We are towards the end of foliage season..I judge by my 3 back huge maples.. and by my borrowed landscape where the leaves are more Burnt Sienna Indian Red.. and Pyrrol Orange:)And drift off every single day.
The She Shed..the flowering crabapple is gold now too..everything is spun gold.

I absolutely loved making and eating that chicken pot pie above..Here is the link 
I prefer broccoli..I had none left so used halved brussel sprouts..I added mushrooms ..
This is a one pan dish I added the mushrooms before everything and set aside..I also sautéed my celery w/ the shallots etc..I reduced the temp to 350 when it was browning too fast.
Such a beautiful comfort meal.
I just placed it on the table and we served ourselves.


This is the perfect time of year to watch One True Thing..the bulb planting scene is dear to me..





My bulb order has not arrived..so I think I will only ever buy in person..Too cold now to be digging and planting..so..nope ..never again.
I called them and canceled the order ..
The earth is hard and cold..

Not impressed with that company so I won't say the name..

But so impressed with one of my favorite Instagrammers..
When I saw he was selling Hyacinths I ordered.I'll force them indoors.
Hope it works♥
The DAY I ordered..Monday.. a shipment was sent w/ tracking number..Arrived today.
Without further ado..

This is the grower.:)
Photo from his website.



Follow him on Instagram..worth every click and story.


I just LOVE this show..and how they were able to incorporate today's issues was amazing..2 hr premiere was soo good.






And..we had snow falling Oct.28th AM..but it left as soon as it came..and melted immediately ..
I am a morning baker..snow or not;)



Hard to believe I have been blogging since 2008~Life was perfect!

Let's slip away to the beach k?





A Chris Petri tutorial.Love them.
Take Care~








27 comments:

  1. I'm so sad for all the families separated right now. Our son & his family are in our bubble so the only thing that's changed is that we see them more because we're watching our grandson in order to keep him better isolated. Praying everyone can get together again soon.

    We know quite a few people who've had covid & recovered...& quite a few who've lost parents to covid. Our numbers are about average. We aren't super high but we aren't super low either. Everything is open in our area with masks & social distancing. My son has been quarantined FIVE times since spring because of covid symptoms. He's tested three times. His employer requires the quarantine & testing to go back to work.

    Oh my, that honeycomb! I will be trying this lunch.

    I've forced bulbs before. I don't do hyacinths indoors though. My husband just cannot breath around them. I usually do amaryllis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are living the best life in Covid with your beautiful bubble.
      I worry about people and winter coming..
      Alone..not well..
      Winter here is beautiful..but long and tough..
      You are right hyacinths can be strong:) I have found other things to be stronger though..Paperwhites? Not sure but one type..is so pungent..lol..I can handle hyacinths it is a scent I like..
      Amaryllis are the beautiful showgirls.

      Delete
  2. I have been reading your blog for a number of years, now, and just want to tell you that you have brought me so much enjoyment.
    You do a wonderful job with everything: text, photos, and recipes. I also enjoy anything that you share about watercolor.
    Thank you, Monique, for sharing your talents & life with us. You have a fan for life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan..This may sound corny but I loved reading this heartwarming note.Thank you for taking the time to write.Take care ...I really did appreciate this so much.

      Delete
  3. Your pot pie sounds wonderful. I am sorry to hear about the bulb order!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quick..they started sending catchy ads for bulbs in Sept..and I wanted to have something to look forward to..so I ordered Sept 7th..By the end of Oct it was so cold here and they were not shipping until Nov 2nd at least..so another week after that at least..nope.:)
      So ..I took them off my mailing list too..lol I am crispy when I want to be;)

      Delete
  4. Such an awesome picture of Lucas. May, how they have grown up. Your food photos look so delicious. Pot pie would be heavenly now. I am so tired of this Covid things and politics. We want the world better and let people live normally. Thanks for sharing these wonderful links.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure..we have to make each other happier in small ways right?Must be unnerving your elections..started Comey last night on HBO..

      Delete
  5. Enjoy your weekend...love to read your post again...makes me happy...love from me please stay safe ....💕🍀💕

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucas!♥ He just radiates happiness but the mask in hand is such a tell-tale sign of our times. Dane is like that too. Always a smile on his face. Who knows where we'll be at the end of November or December. I try to stay hopeful. It's getting hard. I love everything you cook up, including your watercolors :) You do everything so beautifully, Pea. I haven't planted bulbs in a few seasons since I made the big garden in the front more manageable. I'm glad you were able to cancel your order! Dahlia tuber digging day for me today. It's 54F but so windy. Next week looks stellar if the forecast holds! I've never seen One True Thing but I love the cast. This is Us and Antonio ♥♥♥ Wish I could grow snapdragons that huge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He grows everything huge..he's such a neat person:)It was 20F full sun this AM..chilly chilly chilly..M had jars for me..so she paopped by w/ Noah..and Alain came on his bike..we stood OUTSIDE w/ winter coats on ..very socially distanced:)Caro came and Max and Oli..one hr..fed my soul.Caro was freezing she had just stepped off the treadmill sweating..Max had SHORTS on..those boys..none get cold..like their fathers.So Alain had electric socks on..thought of you.Imiss the hugs and time inside homes and meals and being closer..but this felt like a gift..I know you get it..we had no chairs J had put them all away..I planted only 5 of his bulbs..keeping the rest inside to force..
      Enjoy our garden day Pea♥
      xo

      Delete
  7. I do my best of everything in the morning. I a, not a late day person at all! I love that photo of your grandson. What a perfect cover for the calendar! Who,would have thought last year at this time this would have been 2020. I hope so much that we can make some headway towards beating this virus. People just need to control themselves. There are so many who do not/will not. They think they are invincible or something. Love all of your photographs. You have an artistic eye no matter what you turn your hand to. Cooking, gardening, painting. I love the IG account. How I wish that I might have a balcony or someplace I will be able to grow some plants/herbs! We will see! ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will! I only see good things for you Marie:)Watch:)In the interm..I commend your courage!

      Delete
  8. That first picture is a keeper. So handsome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The photo of Lucas is definitely a "cover shot" - adds that certain "je ne sais quoi" ! I adore your she-shed. Soooo charming. Of course all of your photos make me long for a visit. There was a brief snow shower today. Very early for us! I think it will be warm again for the weekend. I am crossing my fingers for one more plain air day.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the one Hugh did of you! What a keepsake Gail♥

      Delete
  10. Oh, Monique. I know about Christmas -- here, too. I'm not having an easy time getting used to it.

    But visiting here helps -- it's so very beautiful and you are living such a good life, all things considered. Gorgeous (and I know delicious) cooking and baking, so beautifully served and staged; a wonderful painting. I've not painted since I returned from the lake and I miss it. I need to begin again. I adore the calendar. That is the face of pure joy. Wonderful color -- I'm sorry about your bulbs, I'm hoping I can get my mums in the ground tomorrow and that the ground isn't too cold. Not frozen yet. If I bring them in they will die so I may as well try.

    Thank you for making my evening lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re always a breath of fresh air!We had snow last night with ground cover..so early it seems.One thing for sure the Christmas tree will be up early👌🏻

      Delete
  11. Beautiful! I am so behind...sorry. :( I loved that movie...and I love "This is Us"...cried like a baby for both... Looking forward to making that pot pie soon...it is cooling off a bit here - no snow but more comfort food needed... Hope you are well. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow here last night..what a conundrum this Covid.Hope your elections turn out the way you hope..Big day today!

      Delete
  12. I just adore everything you shared M. Your thoughts, foods, links, paintings. So homey and warm.
    I’m so sorry your bulb order never arrived and now cancelled. I can no longer plant myself. I hire someone to do it for me. Good luck forcing the hyacinths. They smell so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree I love the scent:)I used your lavender wipes till the very end:)
      What weather! Balmy in Nov..I am certain you too..a gift:)

      Delete
  13. If you liked the wipes you can get them on Amazon. Today's weather was magnificent!

    ReplyDelete