Saturday, December 19, 2009

Un Petit Délice Italien~

I took a cooking class this year.. and my teacher published her first book recently..
I went to a book signing/ lesson event featuring her..she served us some fabulous olives..I will share the recipe soon..and these little Italian Sweets..Dolci~



As soon as I tasted them I knew the secret ingredient..so loved in Italy~



I had bought her book a few days before...and she signed my book:).. last night I made the dough for these darling little rolls..and made them this morning..they make quite a few and are surprisingly delicious for the small amount of ingredients..

La Recette~

Her Nonna's Rolls..From At Home With Maria Loggia~


For the pastry

1 tsp dry yeast
2 ozs warm water
3 cups unbleached all purpose flour plus more for dusting workbench
2 heaping tsps of granulated sugar
1 cup unsalted butter room temp cut into large pieces
2 eggs slightly beaten
For the Filling
12 ozs Nuteela
1/2 cup shelled and finely chopped walnuts
1 tsp pure orange liqueur
To Serve
1/4 Cup Icing Sugar

Method to prepare pastry

In as mall bowl combine yeast and warm waer until dissoleved.
Combine flour and sugar in food processor..Pulse a few times.
Add butter and cut into dry ings.Pulse until it resembles coarse crumbs.. Add beaten eggs and yeast mixture..Continue mixing until a mass forms.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface..Dust hands and knead until smooth and all ings are combined.about 1 min.
Shape dough into 10 balls.. wrap tightly and regrigerate overnight.The next day bring dough to room temp before working with it.

For Filling

Mix the nutella w/ the walnuts and liqueur.Set aside.

Making The Rolls

Preheat oven to 350 F 175 C line 2 baking pans with parchment.
Roll out one piece of dough to 1/8 thickness.Cut dough into 8 equal wedges.Spread 1/2 tsp of nutella filling in each starting at the wide end of each wedge..roll up jelly roll fashion making sure sides are tucked in.Place cookies point side down 1 inch apart on the prepped cookie sheets.Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
Bake until golden brown ap 13-15 mins.
Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely..
Dust w/ icing sugar.

Her notes..They freeze beautifully layer w/ parchment paper.







A taste of Italy for Christmas..at home~

18 comments:

  1. Bonjour Monique, on ne peut résister devant un délice comme celui-ci, je prends en note, merci.

    Passe une belle journée.
    Josée xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great event for your teacher; and great treats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These little Italian treats look so delicious. Your beautiful photos are delicious also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh M....we are all baking this day. I have seen Nutella, but never have used it. They look delish and fun to make...
    The photos of Italy...AAahhh.. The shirt! Is there a meaning? I'm sure there must be...I just don't know it ! Merry Baking, xoxo~Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings...

    ReplyDelete
  5. aren't they cute~ i can't believe your post... i have been baking all morn and JUST looked out the window and thought what it would be like to celebrate xmas in italy, just get away and then i sit here while my cookies bake... there are no coincidences~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always looking for another recipe that uses Nutella, because we LOVE the stuff. This looks totally yummy.
    I always adore your photographs. I wish you would teach me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like your pretty blog snow has dusted your yummy treats

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh que ça a l'air bon ! je note Monique, tes photos sont toujours très appétissantes :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know Jain..La Presse had a special section on Paris in winter last weekend..

    Oh to see the Paris festooned in Christmas made my heart beat!

    I think I would love Paris early December..lots of layers..all the lights..it could never be as cold as here!

    In Italy one town had lights going across the streets and I could see they would be beautiful..but we were there in the day..I only saw Venice, Rome , Tourettes- Sur- Loup,Gordes.. at night I think while in Europe..

    The BIG shirt was in Todi..Italy..there was an art show that week..How beautiful!! WE met a lovely man there that gave us a nice tour:)All in Italian.I wish I spoke Italian!
    Karen..you are kind..sometimes I am lucky that's all.I am fortunate to have lovely cameras..and if the light is kind..it works..these photos were not in good light..But if I waited to share recipes at only the moments the camera and the light were in harmony..you perhaps would have had this one after Christmas.. and to me it is a Christmas keeper..so I just do it anyways.

    Have a lovely evening..If I don't see some of you before Christmas.. Happy Holidays~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, these look so tasty, Monique! When Lindsay spent almost four weeks in Menton with her tennis team, every morning they had Nutella on bread for breakfast. I can't imagine it for breakfast but I can imagine it in this dessert treat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look delicious, and it would be something different for the cookie tray..
    I have everything but the orange liq..I wonder if I could use apricot?? Snow storm, so I won't be getting to the store.
    So I will be baking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Italian dolci are just divine. I stayed within walking distance to a wonderful pasticceria in Rome, and each day, I would go there for my fix :) How lovely of you to share the recipe with us, and those photos!!! Nana, you take the most exquisite shots! That pic of the giant shirt billowing in the wind! LOL! It's humorous and artsy and candid all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Belle recette, à essayer très vite !
    Clément adore le Nutella et en mange chaque matin et à chaque goûter. Il se l'achète en pots de 5 kg en Italie, tu imagines ? j'aime bien la neige qui tombe sur ton écran ... et puis aussi tes photos italiennes !
    Aujourd'hui, c'est le marché de Noël de Mougins. Tu étais passée par Mougins, lors de ton voyage dans le Sud ? C'est un très joli village, un peu comme Saint-Paul de Vence mais en quand même infiniment moins touristique ...
    ALlez, je te fais de grosses bises. Passe une bonne journée
    Hélène

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cara Nana,

    Lovely photo and sweet tastes of Natale. I see you have passed my home - I'm close to Todi. You really caught the atmosfera! Next time, come and visit - and stay a while. Buon Natale e Buone Feste! Bacione, Ingrid in Umbria

    ReplyDelete
  15. Quelles magnifiques gourmandises! Impossible d'y résister car nous adorons le Nutella à la maison:)) À essayer!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hélène je t'envie..le marché de Noël..j'en entends tellement parler ..Non nous ne sommes pas allés à Mougins..ni Saint -Paul De Vence..Je prends des notes:) Bonne Journée!La France ..nous appelle.Si jamais nous retournons.. je relirai plusieurs de tes billets..(Je le fais déjà!)

    Ingrid we loved Umbria.. we had the great pleasure of seeing many different towns.. we stayed half time in Tuscany..half time in Umbria..I could see Assisi from our villa..Villa Rosy..Paolo Tonti's ..

    We saw Assisi..Perugia ..Bettona,Bevagagna,Todi,Lago Trasimeno,Isola Maggiore,Perugia,Norcia,Castelluccio Spello and Orvieto..I could be missing some..You live in an exquitely beautiful area.
    Buon Natale e Buon Feste Ingrid..

    Kathleen..I hope the snow isn't causing havoc..enjoy baking!

    Susan these taste like Italy to me..I hope one day you make them for your daughter:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Des gourmandises tout en douceur comme ton blog,
    Je viens de lire que tu penses venir en France, surtout fais moi signe, j'habite à Lyon et je serais ravie de vous recevoir et de vous rencontrer

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great…!! that’s great advice, I read and also saw your every post, nice article very useful your post Thank you so much for sharing this and the information provide..
    latest Govt jobs

    Staying up to date with the industry is the most important thing because the outdated content does work. One should adopt the new changes and trends.
    Anyways thanks for this nice post . Education & tech

    thanks for the great article to become a expert blogger .. i will surely put all the tips on my blog
    Specialized Healthcare & Medical Education

    ReplyDelete