Thursday, August 23, 2012

My first little yellow zucchini~


Came and went..  and then more came and went..I made some gratins..and....I had seen a lovely pie in a crust made with spiraled zucchini..I love spiraled zucchini..ribboned zucchini and grilled zucchini.
I decided to make a light lunch of my zucchini by marrying it w/ a green zucchini from my DSIL.
I used a small spring form pan.. 4 inches..
I ribboned the zucchinis,then spiraled them and tucked the little "cake" into the Pam'd pan.
I drizzled olive oil..thyme and sprinkled some crushed garlic on top..s and p.
Baked at 350 degrees for 1 hr.
It was just right,not crispy crunchy though..just right for me.Bake less long if you prefer a crunch to your little veggie dish.
No crust.. just good vegetables.:)

You could add some cheese etc..
I just wanted a veggie fix:)

My vegetables are almost non existant this year.. drought..animals coming to the banquet before me..:(

But one little garden i loved..is the children's garden at my Lucas' school..It was planted before yr end..  in June.. in back of his school and it is flourishing!
It's so charming w/ their little handmade signs..and their scarecrow?

She has a floral necklace now!:)
The zucchini has started to grow up and around her~:)

Speaking of inspiration~
Jacques and I really enjoy Anthony Bourdain's ..The Layover.
I have only read 2 of his books..

But have watched his Travel Shows:)  The Layover may be my favorite..
I can't say I would pick his places to eat:)  But I love seeing the places he visits..his humor..the people he meets..
The last one we watched was London~ 
Fergus Henderson was the hotelier chef that inspired me.
I knew I loved his kind face..and I knew there was something special about his charisma..
I Googled him today..And sure enough..his magnetism..is magical.
Both Anthony Bourdain and Fergus Henderson made that show unforgettable to me..:) Oh..and Mr.Bourdain's cabbie at the end:)
Like the other 2..unadulterated..charm.

Un coup de coeur~
Ou..3 coups de coeur:)


16 comments:

  1. Wow, beautiful zucchini dish! Love all the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a hankering for some yellow zucchini yesterday. I just pan fried and added some favorite cheese at the end. It was delicious but not so elegant as yours. What a treat for the eyes. The school garden is so enchanting. I will have to look into the show and books. Joni

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful. What a lovely presentation for healthy veggies. ;-) I'm going to share this with my friend who has several restaurants and a catering business.
    My copy of Hearing Heartbeats arrived this week. Thanks for the recommendation.........Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful lunch...but how do you eat a work of art! :-) So lovely and sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! It looks definitely tasty. It's so beautiful I don't want to eat it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Monique, you weave magic with your squashes. How pretty.

    We enjoy Bourdain too and have read several of his books. Also have his cookbook from Les Halles. What a character!
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah..Let me know how you like it~
    I hope it doesn't disappoint~
    It touched me..
    A Bourdain IS a character.. I think we all are in our own ways:) But he is so different than I.. I find him.. on the edge:)I hope I am using the right expression.
    And he speaks his mind..so much.
    Joni your dish would have hit my spot too!

    I'll miss this season of bounty..Everything is just so gorgeous at the markets~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your veggie fix is one certain work of art! Such a pretty presentation. I too, saw that Anthony Bourdain episode, highlighting Fergus Henderson. Wasn't he such a touching soul? I love London and all her charming characters. Of course, as a fellow native New Yorker, Anthony's personality is right up my alley. ;)
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes.. a very touching soul~I love the New Yorker in you Maureen:)and all the memories you share with us~

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are the most artful cook!
    I can't believe how creative you are with food!!!
    BRAVO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning. The food and the photogroghs
    Shel

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful vegetable dish Monique. Such artistry! C'est magnifique!! Truly. I have never caught any of Anthony Bourdin's programs, nor his books. Clearly I have been missing out. I need to rectify that! Thanks for pointing me in this direction! Love and hugs! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  13. J'ai aussi de jolies courgettes jaunes et j'ai décliné cette présentation avec d'autres accompagnements. Le jardin apporte beaucoup de travail, mais tellement de plaisir pour les yeux et les papilles.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My fridge is full of zucchini and I'm thrilled to find another way to fix it. Beautifully done as always, Monique.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful zucchini creation!! I love this post ! (Silly to say, I suppose because i LOVE ALL of your posts.) xo

    ReplyDelete