Saturday, October 30, 2010

Vitamin C~Cakeform~

Some sunny days cry out for kitchen activity~


Especially if you have happened upon a recipe that made you crave a sweet w/out a photo!

I found this Googling..On Chowhound~


It's better ..than it looks ..it's moist and orangey..and cuts well and is better the next day~Easy to eat..and as good as Bonne Maman Confitures ..and fresh squeezed Orange Juice~

La Recette~

Grandmamma's Orange Cake
I just made my Grandmother's cake for the 1,276th time yesterday and thought I would share this luscious and terrifically moist recipe with CH! This is one of those recipes that the more days that go by, the moister it gets. (make at least one day before serving if you can wait)

Orange Ring Cake

1 c. sugar
1 c. butter *
3 eggs
1 c. sour cream *
1 3/4 c. sifted flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
grated rind of one orange
(* please have these ingredients at room temperature)

Cream butter and sugar well. Add egg yolks, sour cream, and orange rind; beat until light and fluffy. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder into the first mixture. Beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry, and fold into the mixture.

Turn into a well greased and floured bundt pan; bake at 325 degrees for one hour. Remove from oven and let stand 15 minutes. Loosen carefully around edge and turn-out onto a rimmed plate. Deeply and repeatedly pierce the top of the cake with a very thin skewer (eg, like a wooden skewer used for chicken satay) and then spoon the hot orange sauce over the top of the cake slowly. (The hot orange sauce will "leak" from the cake, so make sure it is placed in a rimmed plate.)

Hot Orange Sauce

Juice of 2 oranges (a little less than 1 cup); Juice of 1 lemon (about 2 TBL); 3/4 c. of sugar; dash of salt

Combine ingredients; let sugar first dissolve over low heat, then bring to a rolling boil for 3 to 4 minutes.

(1 orange = 1/2 c. so, if you are in a pinch, 6 oz. of frozen orange concentrate could be substituted)

Permalink | Reply
By Tehama on Jun 27, 2007 06:35AM

Courtesy of Chowhound~Thank You~

18 comments:

  1. looks just like summer here! makes me think of the sunshine state :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can feel the sunshine in your pictures. I hope it was a happy day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you had a beautiful day. and perfect too.

    im making the cake. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We will need lots of inner sunshine in the months to come! This looks like a deliciously perfect way to supply it ;)

    I love that beautiful sunflower!

    Happy Sunshine to You :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband is going to thank you for this!!! He loves a citrus cake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beauty of a cake! I feel happy just looking at your pics...they made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks:) Have a wonderful weekend everyone~

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love a moist piece of orange cake! I've been working like crazy the last couple of weeks - I'm at the office as I type this :( - and that cake with a cup of tea would be the perfect relaxing moment! Thanks, Monique!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love time tested recipes! This must be an exceptional orange cake. This cake looks wonderfully simple and elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful. And I love the little dripping stars that follow my mouse movements on your blog.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  11. Moist and dense - my favorite kind of cake. Trouble is if I made that cake, I would eat the whole thing myself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cara Monique,

    Dull and dreary here. A bit of sunshine is needed - preserves as good as anything. As long as they are Vitamin C! Oringes have not reached us yet. Lovely, tasty clementines though. I will try your recipy, using clementines instead. Thanks for sharing and Happy All Saints'! Bacione from a chilly Umbria, Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bonjour Monique ~ if you've made the cake 1,276 times it must be good!! and even better that it keeps so well. I am writing it in my Best recipe's book, because I know it's going to be one of those never fail cakes, that I will make again & again.
    Have a lovely week!
    ~Dianne~

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are my favorite kind of cakes, full of simple goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is my kind of cake! The warm glaze is the perfect topping. It's calling out for a fresh cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It reminds me of the ones my mom made. And hey, we all need more vitamin C!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Time for vit C in all shapes and tastes...and Bonne Maman...good comfort combo! I received the most delicious marmalade from a friend and I never ask a trecipe from someone, but I'm scraping ALL my guts together to ask her...you photo makes me wish I had some left...all finished unfortunately..
    bisous

    ReplyDelete