Saturday, January 3, 2009

Delicious and Delectable~

I was perusing Cathy's site yesterday and her Buttermilk Cheddar Biscuits jumped out at me..
I am here to tell you that as Cathy says..:"We can always count on Ina for something wonderful".


I halved the recipe..there is just J and I:)

And made them petite.."petitter":)

They are lip smacking mouth watering good.
I prepared them yesterday and baked them this morning.What a treat.


Of course I was missing buttermilk ..so added vinegar to my 3.25 % milk and it worked very well.

Thanks so much Cathy..I don't have Ina's new book and they are perfectly wonderful.

Do you all do this? Print..or copy or both?I have a small shipload of recipes to try..
The page has a crease in it because I never walk back upstairs with just one thing in my hands.
Always an armful.
Lazy me~

Here is Cathy/Ina's Recipe..

Buttermilk Cheddar Biscuits

All purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons (1-1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cubed
1/2 cup cold buttermilk, shaken
1 cold extra large egg
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water
Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Place 2 cups flour, baking powder and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. With the mixer on low, add the butter and mix until the butter is the size of peas.

Combine the buttermilk and egg in a small measuring cup and beat lightly with a fork. With the mixer still on low, quickly add the buttermilk mixture to the flour and mix only until moistened. In a small bowl add a little flour to the grated cheese and toss till coated. Add the cheese to the dough. Mix only until roughly combined.

Dump out the dough onto a well-floured board and knead lightly about six times. Roll out to a rectangle 5 x 10 inches. Cut into desired shapes. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush the tops with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sea salt, and bake for 20 minutes or until nicely browned and cooked through.

These biscuits can be cut out and refrigerated overnight, and baked right before serving. They make wonderful little open face sandwiches when split and topped with a little meat, cheese and mayo.




11 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures, and what could be better than a buttermilk cheese biscuit, not much in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love buttermilk cheese biscuits ... Your pictures of them are wonderful, Monique.

    I like that you made them "petiter".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cutting the recipe in half is a great idea. I nibbled away at my batch until they were all gone. Oh dear.

    Thanks so much for the link and the kind words. As always, your photos are the best.

    Ina's new book is full of wonderful recipes. I can't wait to try more of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another wonderful recipe to try! Thanks for sharing Ina/Cathy/Monique! I may try them with my soup this week ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. everything you do has so much style! i love love love your pics, you know i am not a flour fan, but i do adore your pics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love these as well! I will have to compare my recipe to this one...our family calls them Red Lobster biscuits because we always love them at the chain :-)

    I too just love your pics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marsha, I was going to mention Red Lobster's biscuits, but was embarrassed. We eat there too often. ... I love theirs and always ruin my dinner by eating too many.

    Plus I'm sure these are significantly better.

    Monique, you pictures are fabulous (and they look flakier than Red Lobster's)... What a cute stacked display.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi girls! I think I have made those Red Lobster ones:) there must be a few recipes on the net ehre and there.My girls used to like those very much.
    These are different..try them..1/2 of a recipe?:)
    Thanks very much about the photos..I am practicing.. never know if they look alright or not..We are always so much more admiring of everyone else's photos don't you find?
    I think it is something i would like to take a class on.
    My daughter just received a camera similar to mine for Christmas.I am hoping she will teach me a few things.


    I sure as heck won't be posting nightime meals..
    Oyoyoy..

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my first time on your blog, but WOW, are your pics awesome or what?! I could learn a lot from you ... so will be back to keep checking out your wonderful recipes & pics!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look delicious, Monique...
    I will try them the next time I make ham...they would be great with that, eh?
    do I sound Canadian? LOL
    I would like to take a course too.
    Sharon CB gave us a sight and they email me lessons...do you want it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes I would love the address Kathleen for online courses!
    Thanks..

    And thank you also Muneeba.

    ReplyDelete