Friday, January 16, 2009

Flashback~

As a newlywed 35 years ago..the only cheesecakes I ever made were no~ bake.I didn't know a thing about baking.
Yesterday was busy and I wanted to make a Pomegranate Cheesecake.
I went to the Pom Wonderful site and this recipe brought back a ton of memories.
I started with the one ingredient I never had back then..
The Pomegranate.



I know the queen of Pomegranates..Jain.
Actually the Queen of All citrus:)

She really initiated me to buying MORE poms.While vacationing in Fl..I was the grateful recipient of some of her huge juicy beautiful garnet Poms:)
I can't see one without thinking of her of course.
I started by preparing my poms.



Then happily followed the very easy little recipe.
I love yogurt with poms..this is quite similar.Like a rich vanilla yogurt with poms and a graham cracker crust.



It will be difficult to not keep picking at it:)



Et..la recette..

POM Cheesecake

Ingredients:
Crust:
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup melted butter

Cheesecake Mixture:
1 cup arils from 1 large POM Wonderful
Pomegranate
1 1/4-oz. package gelatin
1/2 cup water
3 8-ounce packages cream cheese
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup whipping cream


Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.


2. Mix graham cracker crumbs thoroughly with melted butter.


3. Gently press crumbs into the bottom and up 1" of the sides of a 9" spring-form pan.


4. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Cool completely.


5. Sprinkle the gelatin over the water in a small saucepan. Let set for 5 minutes, then heat until gelatin has dissolved. Set aside to cool.


6. Mix the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Mix in gelatin. Set aside.


7. Score 1 fresh pomegranate and place in a bowl of water. Break open the pomegranate underwater to free the arils (seed sacs). The arils will sink to the bottom of the bowl and the membrane will float to the top. Sieve and put the arils in a separate bowl. Reserve 1 cup of the arils from fruit and set aside. (Refrigerate or freeze remaining arils for another use.)


8. Whip the cream until stiff. Gently but completely mix cream cheese and 1/2 cup pomegranate arils into the whipped cream.


9. Spoon into prepared, cooled crust. Smooth out the top.


10. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until set. Can be made the day ahead.


11. To remove from pan, gently run a sharp knife around the inside of the pan, then open the pan.


12. Top with remaining pomegranate arils.





My notes..I halved the recipe..Made a smaller cheesecake..Just right.

12 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, absolutly stunning pictures, Monique.

    I have a hard time imagining that there was a time that you didn't know anything about baking ... even as a newlywed.

    John loves cheesecake.

    Thirty-seven years ago, we had been married less than a year. John wanted a cheesecake; I found a recipe, and headed off to the grocery store in John's car to get some ingredients. (I had wrecked mine two months earlier, so we only had the one car.)

    I was looking at the recipe (while driving) and rear-ended a Cadillac. Both cars had damage. Police were called; I was ticketed, had to pay a fine, and attend traffic school.

    Our car insurance was cancelled and we were assigned to Missouri Uninsured Drivers' which provided us automobile insurance at a STEEP price.

    Never got the ingredients for the cheesecake and have never attempted to make one since...

    John has told that story more times over the years than you can imagine AND every time he eats cheesecake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Cynthia..What a cheesecake story!!Poor you!

    I think I will always think of you now ..

    I love the way you share things..
    I have stories about food too..never think you are the only one:)

    And I have little car stories too:)

    Thanks for the visit this morning.Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cynthia if only i had that happen on the way to see's, maybe i would be thin now?

    monique every pic is a little treasure! the cheesecake is just gorgeous, as in everything thing you do!

    that first one captivates me~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious - I would be picking at the seeds constantly!!

    Cynthia - I would be afraid to attempt a cheesecake after that adventure also..LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember no bake cheesecake very well, Monique :) Your pom version is beautiful. Lots of wonderful little 'pop's in your mouth and we know they are so healthy for us so your cheesecake is actually health food!

    What a story, Cynthia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photographs are indeed beautiful. I love these and the salad below!

    That said, the poms look like beautiful little rubies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My breath caught in my throat looking at these photos! Inspiring... as always!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you!Of course you all know I follow all your leads:)

    Tess..You ARE so inspiring too!
    I am dreaming of your breads:)
    My friend Jain painted one and it's beautiful.I have to try!
    PS your son is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi M.... Beau! No bake cheesecake is all I remember growing up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delicious, M! And halving it great idea...
    Cynthia's story is funny...I don't think I would try again either!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful cheesecake Monique. Great opportunity for you too at the store! Did you get some tips?

    Cynthia...I love the story!! And especially that you shared it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Growing up, my parents always made the no bake cheesecakes for us :-) We loved them, better than any cheesecake in the world. That was then, now it must be NY style.
    Monique, your pom version is beautiful.

    Cynthia, I'm glad we can laugh now :-) At the time, I'm sure it wasn't a good day.

    Cheesecake is Joe's very favorite dessert, and his birthday is soon :-) I must get my ingredients.

    ReplyDelete