Monday, January 5, 2009

Tried and True~


Several of us have been making this dish for a while now.I shared it with someone at my office and she makes it regularly now too with all kinds of variations.
It's pretty..it's very good..and when pork loin is on sale..the price is unbeatable.
You can serve it with a nice sauce of your choice.. I love a blackberry one or even an apple compote is delicious.Those that prefer a gravy can do that too..A maple syrup sauce or a nice reduction of sorts could work too.

The original recipe came from Joanne Weir

It's been a keeper here ever since I found it..
I know Jain's made it..Mary.. a few of us..

Pork Roasted the Way the Tuscan Do
This is a wonderful and easy technique for pork roasted inside a baguette with wonderful fresh herbs and of course garlic and olive oil! I'm sure this will become a favorite of yours too - it's great to bring on a picnic lunch!

2 teaspoons fresh chopped sage
2 teaspoons fresh chopped rosemary
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon fennel pollen
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 pork tenderloin, trimmed
1 loaf crusty baguette

On a work surface, mince the sage, rosemary, pepper, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and fennel pollen together.

Heat a frying pan over medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil. Cook the pork, turning occasionally, until golden on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes. Roll the pork in the herb mixture and set aside. Cut the baguette in half the long way and scoop out the soft insides. Brush the inside of the baguette with the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil. Place the pork on the inside of the baguette so that the pork is completely enclosed. Trim off the excess ends of the bread. Tie, at 1 to 2-inch intervals, with kitchen string.

Preheat an oven to 375°F. Place the pork on a baking sheet and roast until done, 155 to 160°F when an instant read thermometer is inserted into the thickest part, 25 to 35 minutes.

Remove from the oven, let rest 10 minutes. Remove the strings and cut into slices. Serve.

Serves 4


My notes..I add a coating of good mustard on the crust.Inside.
Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. hands down my very favorite. a blackberry sauce is an excellent idea, never thought of that! love the photos and thanks for getting us all hooked on this~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful - I remember you talking about this before. Pork loins are so affordable here, always looking for a different way to make it!
    How do you make your blackberry sauce?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monique, what a gorgeous Tuscan pork... so simple looking yet elegant.... I wouldn't expect anything else from Mme. Monique :)

    I really must try this some time soon.... I know John would love it .... He loves pork in any form.

    Thanks for re-posting the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every time one of you posts a picture of this dish I start salivating. One of these days I MUST try it! Wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Warm Family is the best! New? What a lovely way to display that wonderful recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the reminder, and of course your photo, seals the deal :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Barb..I first used Chef David Lawrence's sauce.. he is a very nice young man/chef that I had the pleasure of corresponding with once..It's the sauce that accompanies his pan seared filet mignon.I tried accessing his site..couldn't get past the intro last night.. .Boy Eats World Cookbook.. I offered it to one of my DSIL's for his birthday 2 yrs ago.

    It's a reduction of stock and wine and seedless blackberry jam until you like the consistency..topped with fresh blackberries..
    I also use a blueberry sauce and you can sub with blackberries..This sauce is good on duck also..
    1 1/2 cups of frozen blueberries
    1/3 cup apple jelly
    1/4 cup port
    3 tbsps balsamic vinegar.
    This sauce..I forget my source:(

    Hi Susan..No not new.. maybe 3 yrs now?
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Nana!
    XO,Nina

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mme. M, I have every book Joanne Weir has ever written; I love her, in a non-stalking sort of way.
    But, I don't remember ever seeing this recipe. And I love the way it looks, as it has all the qualities of a perfectly delicious and simple dish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. psst, come to my blog at hide and seek, got a little something for you~

    ReplyDelete