Saturday, January 31, 2009

Darling Hors D'Oeuvres~

 Kathleen organized a Super Bowl Hors~ d'Oeuvres Darling Sunday~
I pondered what to make and even made a Pate a Choux w/ crab filling but they weren't my favorites..We ate them as a light lunch today..They were fine for that.
I went back to a tried and true..
A recipe I am certain I got from Bon Appétit or Canadian Living:) years and years ago.
A friend made them first for a cocktail party.They were the first to go~
Since then..they are the first to go here also.
My daughters make them and my daughter's MIL makes them at the resto she runs and cooks for.
They are always a hit..They may sound fussy..But they are not.

Spicy pork with orange hoisin sauce in wonton cups~I give them 4 stars.



The little accompaniement sauce is so delicious.A perfect marriage.


I place them..all baked on white platters.. the sauce on the side..w/ a few chinese soup spoons to spoon the sauce over each bite sized wonton.
Si Bon!



How nice to be able to use a dipping dish..a few spoons and lovely platters~ Chinese parasols are a cute addition too..:)


While I was working w/ wontons and pork..I also made Chinese Raviolis..
You simply boil..not steam them and serve with peanut dipping sauce.





With a side of fried rice.. just terrific..


The filling is different for these.. an egg is added.. some cornstarch.. lots of cabbage..It is a recipe I saw on "Du Coeur Au Ventre" last night with guest chef Jean Chen..Host..Daniel Pinard~
Very good show.I appreciate everything I learn on it.Very informative.




Thanks to my friend Susan...

Here is the recipe I misplaced!

Recipe as follows..
Sauce:
½ cup hoisin sauce
3 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
2 green onions, minced
1 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce
1 teaspoon (packed) grated orange peel
Filling:
1-1/4 pounds ground pork
3 large green onions, chopped
3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon oriental sesame oil
1-1/2 teaspoons (packed) grated orange peel
1 teaspoon salt
1 large egg yolk
2 12-ounce packages wonton wrappers
Vegetable oil
FOR SAUCE: Mix all ingredients in small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared up to 2 days ahead; cover and refrigerate)
FOR FILLING: Mix first 10 ingredients in medium bowl.
Position rack in bottom third of oven; preheat to 475 degrees. Using 2-3/4 inch round cutter, cut out round from each wonton wrapper. Brush 1 side of each round with vegetable oil. Gently press wonton rounds, oiled side down, into mini muffin cups. Fill each wonton round with heaping 1 teaspoon of pork filling. Bake wonton rounds with filling, 2 pans at a time, until wonton is crisp and filling is cooked through, about 15 minutes. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Refrigerate until cool, then cover and chill. Rewarm uncovered on baking sheet in 475 degree oven until heated through, about 12 minutes.) Transfer to platter. Spoon orange-hoisin sauce atop wonton cups or let your guests add their own.

11 comments:

  1. Hi Monique, just popping in to take a peek at your beautiful pics. Miss seeing them and reading your charming posts at GB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I already commented but they look delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Works of art! You must have the best natural light in your home! I would love your apps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was really excited to try these. Are you willing to share the recipe? Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I copied and pasted and it's not here.I apologize and will have it here I hope by the end of the day! The recipe..OY.
    It really was in the body of my text..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Monique, just gorgeous and another lovely post with your heavenly lighting.

    I never tired of seeing your foods and photos or tire of reading your narrative.

    They both have the "Monique" touch and I would recognize them anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to come by to admire your pretties!

    It's so funny that we were thinking along the same Asian-theme lines. :)

    Yours are exquisite! I always love the special touches and serving idea that you add. Perfection! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Monique - Thanks very much for the recipe post. Larry

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh these looks so delicious I do believe I need them

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks so much for a darling weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are my favorite hot d’oeuvres EVER! And the sauce is so delicious too!!

    ReplyDelete