Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Broccoli Soup with Gremolata Garnish~



I love Food and Drink Magazine that the LCBO offers us..
This is a recipe from last fall..just made~ The Gremolata is a lovely touch.













Broccoli Bisque With Gremolata Garnish
Autumn 2008
By: Lucy Waverman



Broccoli soup is much more tasty than you might give it credit for. It is full flavored and interesting.




2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil
3 leeks, white and light green parts only, sliced
1 head broccoli, cut into florets, stem peeled and roughly chopped, about 4½ cups (1.125 L)
½ cup (125 mL) peeled and chopped Yukon Gold potatoes
4 cups (1 L) chicken stock
¼ cup (50 mL) whipping cream
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Gremolata

¼ cup (50 mL) finely chopped parsley
1 tsp (5 mL) finely chopped garlic
2 tbsp (25 mL) grated lemon rind

1. Heat oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add leeks and sauté for 3 minutes or until limp. Add broccoli and sauté another minute. Add potatoes and toss together. Pour in stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover pot and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes or until broccoli and potatoes are very tender.

2. Using a hand blender, process vegetables until smooth. Add cream, bring to boil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 5 minutes to amalgamate flavors.

3. Combine parsley, garlic and lemon rind in a mini chop or food processor. Process until well combined. Dot on top of soup before serving.

Serves 6

Easy easy too.
Even light enough for this magnificent time of year~


11 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos Monique!

    I cherish the copies of the magazine that you've shared with me. You are so right ~ those publications are a wonderful resource (and of very nice quality.) We have nothing like that here offered by our equivalent of the LCBO.

    Your soup looks delicious, love the idea of a gremolata for an extra special touch. (Hmmm, it's a drizzly day ~ you've given me a dinner idea!) :)

    Art mimics nature; the muguet du bois are charming x2. :) Love that!
    xo~m

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Mari - your photos are exquisite!!

    The soup looks delicious. And, as usual, I love your soup bowl! So pretty. Everything is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monique...the soup is calling me...but the lilies of the valley are my favorites...mine did not come up this year...I must go look for more....I adore the scent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you like it! It rained all day today..I could have had more for dinner! But it's full swing lobster season here..:)
    Linda..Lilies Of The Valley..and Lilacs were my mom's faves.. so I have Lily of the Valley..perfume..and lilac soaps:)

    I love to smell those scents as often as I can.
    I have a pin tussie mussie and wear lilies now:)

    Thank you!
    Mary..I am so glad you like the mag! More tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have just vowed to eat more broccoli and you have just given me a tasty option! Thanks!

    I too, love lily of the valley and lilacs. Their scents are so delicious, you can tell they're blooming before even seeing the first bloom.

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the sound of a gremolata topping for a broccoli soup.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos! You are so talented! I've been quietly following your blog for a while and I really enjoy it. I love your focus on local and fresh ingredients, plus your photos are immaculate!
    This soup sounds delicious, I adore broccoli soups! the colour is very comforting :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The soup looks lovely..and I love Lily of the Valley..I must teach Lily about them..and I have to go pick some tomorrow!
    Have a wonderful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok let me get this... firstly, I love that soup bowl you used! It sure gave delicious contrast to the soup :-P and that made me hungry at this hour even though I just ate dinner :-(

    2nd... I love mugets! I always look forward to them in May... That's a gorgeous picture - mugets in a muget pot and tray... sigh ... I could smell them through my pc :-D They are the cutest in flora kingdom!

    Ok tomorrow, broccoli soup! Thank you for sharing a lovely recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete