Friday, May 22, 2009

What's better than a date square?


2~:)

I am a salty ..not sweet person..But ask me what one of my 5 all time favorite dessert recipes is..
A date square.
I love Ann Lindsay's w/ coffee as an ing..
I love maybe 3 other recipes....and my friend Robert's aunt's recipe..:)


Fantabulous..
Her little tip..included using the freshest algerian dates you could find..what a huge difference to the usual supermarket ones that were packaged months and months and months ago..
Apples and oranges..no,wait...dates and dates:)

Your usual crumble w/ the flour butter brown sugar and oatmeal..
But the freshest dates.. and simmered in water or 1/2 half with orange juice..

I used 450 gr. of pitted dates.. and 1 1/2 cups of half and half oj and water..(Original recipe one cup..)simmered till softened and almost jam like.. added a bit more water..

The crumb base..
was 1/2 cup of flour mixed w/ 1 cup butter..added 1 cup brown sugar and 2 cups oatmeal..

All my date square recipes vary and I can just tell what needs more or less of as I am making them:) A trade inner secret I guess:)

Regardless..once you get the knack..they are foolproof keepers..and faves~

Baked at 375 until golden.

The Ann Lindsay ones w/ coffee are equally as good..more ingredients though~
I love Ann Lindsays' recipes.

7 comments:

  1. Date bars are one of my all-time favorite treats from forever ago too! What fun to visit and see all the wonderful dishes you've prepared over the past two weeks. You've been one busy, creative gal!!

    I see your garden has awakened beautifully too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Date Square is better than a Square Date ;-)

    I agree about the dates...there is a big difference. These look like a winner for summer cookouts and parties.

    Thanks!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love dates! These look so good. I'll be on the lookout for Algerian dates now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look delicious and moist!
    Happy weekend, Monique..

    ReplyDelete
  5. This reminds me of a dessert a Canadian friend of mine used to make called "Matrimonial Bars."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look wonderful Monique!
    Thanks for the recipe!
    L~xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Superbes carrés ! QUand j'en trouve, je me précipite sur les grosses dattes dites "Medjoul" que l'on trouve parfois en vrac, par ici ! Seulement voilà, elles sont tellement bonnes que je n'ai pas le temps de les cuisiner ! ;o)) J'en garderai néanmoins quelques-unes la prochaine fois ... ;o)

    ReplyDelete