Sunday, May 3, 2009

Sunday Best~



I
remember Sunday Best~ Pea coats and white gloves..So much has changed!








And some recipes are best.. and keepers..This is a cake my husband made for himself before we married.. Of course I learned it..:)

It can be made as a cake but also in any shapes..you just adjust cooking times..I added a ganache on the pyramids~


And a Fancy Flour chocolate transfer.

The recipe originates from one of Québec's Divas..Jéhane Benoit.
I still have my mother's book of her recipes..the only one of my mom's I have..
My daughters..will have so many.. I hope they find a place for them:)It would be fun to think that one day Lulu or Max or Noah may be making one of my recipes~







La Recette~
Gâteau au chocolat à la crème sure



2 carrés (2 onces) de chocolat non sucré
1 tasse d'eau bouillante
2 tasses de farine tout-usage, tamisée
1/4 c. à thé de sel
1 c. à thé de soda
1 c. à soupe de zeste de citron râpé
1/2 tasse de beurre
1 c. à thé de vanille
1 3/4 tasse de cassonade bien tassée
2 oeufs
1/2 tasse de crème sure, commerciale

Chauffer le four à 325 F, et graisser un moule à pain de 9 X 5 X 3 pouces.
Placer le chocolat dans un petit bol, y ajouter l'eau bouillante et laisser tiédir.
Tamiser la farine, le sel et le soda. Ajouter le zeste de citron râpé.
Mélanger le beurre et la vanille et mettre en crème ou travailler à la main ou avec un malaxeur électrique jusqu'à mélange mou. Ajouter la cassonade et continuer à travailler la pâte jusqu'à ce qu'elle soit très crémeuse. Ajouter les oeufs, un par un, en battant bien à chaque addition. Incorporer la farine avec soin, en y mélangeant la crème sure, et en dernier lieu, le mélange du chocolat et de l'eau.
Verser la pâte (c'est une pâte claire) dans le moule préparé et faire cuire de 50 à 60 minutes ou jusqu'à ce que le gâteau soit cuit.
Refroidir sur un gril à gâteau pendant environ 5 minutes, démouler et refroidir complètement.

L'Encyclopédie de la cuisine canadienne (1963), Jehane Benoit.

Bon Dimanche!

Here! I had to rush out this morning..here you are:)

Sour Cream Chocolate Cake.(translated)


2 unsweetened squares of chocolate
1 Cup boiling water
2 cups all purpose sifted flour
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 full tbs grated lemon zest
½ cup room temp butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 ¾ cups of packed brown sugar
2 eggs
½ cup sour cream

Preheat oven to 325.
Prepare your molds..I used 6 Pyramids and a small European style metal bundt.I buttered them.
Place your chocolate in a bowl.. cover w/ boiling water,let sit..stir and cool.
Sift flour,salt and baking soda.Add lemon zest.
Cream butter and vanilla..Add brown sugar and mix till very creamy.
Add eggs one at a time ..Add flour with care w/ sour cream and cooled chocolate water combo that you have stirred
Pour batter in prepped molds and bake 50-60mins..
Bear in mind it took 30 mins for the pyramids.. the full time for the high bundt.

10 comments:

  1. Monique, I love your photos. That cake, wow!!
    I looked in my Madame Benoit cookbooks to see if I could find that recipe in English. No luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing! All of my favorites at once....I speak some French, but I probably would'nt do it justice. I love a challenge (and an inspiration), though!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cake looks amazing! I so want to try this! I can't imagine it looking as perfect as yours. Such a beautiful photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How does a gal from Long Island figure that out? :)
    It looks wonderful...I have some pyramid shaped Pfaltzgraf bowls I could bake it in too..
    Your pic is beau!
    Miss Lily's big day Sat...I have been busy..:) so happy to be able to do it though! That's what Nana's are for, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure all of the boys will grow up with such a wealth of delicious memories and recipes!

    I am saving this recipe. Knowing that Jacques made it for himself before you were married makes it very special. I'm sure he didn't make it as lovely as you did, though ;) Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous looking cake...it looks straight out of a Paris pastry shop...notice I don't know the correct spelling of the French word for bakery!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw your photo on Foodgawker and knew it was you before I saw the name. Beautiful shot and great looking dessert! The recipe sounds wonderful. Thanks for the translation Monique! I like trying to figure it out but I like having the cheat sheet too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually I love chocolate. This looks so delicious and cute. Its always a pleasure to visit your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I posted the recipe in English..
    Sorry about that.I left in a rush..Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are you tired of being human, having talented brain turning to a vampire in a good posture in ten minutes, Do you want to have power and influence over others, To be charming and desirable, To have wealth, health, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming an immortal? If yes, these your chance. It's a world of vampire where life get easier,We have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich, You will assured long life and prosperity, You shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, Stronger and also very fast, You will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, This is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete