Monday, May 11, 2009

Yummy Mother's Day Appetizers~



Caramelized Onion and Olive Croustades~


Linda....

Linda.. shared this recipe a while back..I copied it.. and tried it..made them twice this weekend..Sampled on a friend Saturday night.. Thumbs up..
Redux.. Mother's Day..many thumbs up! Thank you again Linda!

La recette~



This croustade is a sweet, salty and rich combination of flavors, and is a nice start to any dinner party. It is easy to pick up and eat, no utensils required.
Recipe: Caramelized Onion and Olive Croustade
Print Recipe
I used a 2 inch round cookie cutter.. 1.5 sheets of Loblaw's puff pastry.. made over 20..

¼ cup olive oil
1 small clove garlic, thinly sliced
2 large onions, thinly sliced
2 sprigs thyme
fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper
2 sheet frozen puff dough, defrosted and trimmed to 6-inch rounds
½ cup black olives, pitted and halved
freshly grated parmesan

1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sliced onion, garlic and thyme. Cook the onion, stirring occasionally until the onions are soft. Reduce heat to medium low and continue cooking for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until well caramelized. Season to taste with fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
3. Place the puff dough rounds on a parchment lined baking sheet. Spread the caramelized onion, leaving about ½ - inch around the edges. Top the onions with black olives and parmesan. Bake the croustades in the oven about for about 15-20 minutes until the crust is golden brown and puffed.
4. Cut into wedges and serve warm.
Bon Appétit~I LOVE them..too much:)

12 comments:

  1. Thank you again for this recipe (and thanks to Linda)! My neighbor makes a similar one, only I believe she pours a bit of balsalmic vinegar into the saucepan. The result is... in a word, sweetness! (and, may I add, mmm mmm good!).

    Off to note down your recette... merci encore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOOH what's not to like about Caramelized Onion and Olive Croustades. They look delicious Monique. Thanks to both you and Linda for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hallo Monique, I love this croustades. The combination sounds really perfect. I will save this recipe and try it in a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW these little babies look so DAMN good - What a wonderful appetizer!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look delicious, Monique..
    Hope you had a wonderful Nana's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Freezing cold rainy Mother's day..But lovely w/ my Lulu ,Max,Noah..the girls et al..

    Hope you all had a great one also.
    My cards made me cry..:) That's a good thing..

    Kristin..love the idea of adding balsamic..Thanks so much.


    What a wonderful blogworld this is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So Pretty!

    And delicious, I'm sure... I love when Linda shares recipes with us. I always can count on them to be class A#1.

    Yours too Mme. M. Always. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I'm going to have to try this for sure. It looks and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy, yummy - I love caramelized onions, olives and croustades so these are just perfect...
    First time here - what a lovely blog!
    I'll be back :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will be making these for my husbands birthday party next sat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you all enjoy them..and I hope the birthday celebration is magnifique:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Monique...I just now saw this one!
    I am so glad that you enjoyed these easy treats!
    I love them as well...this is an Eric Ripert recipe...of Le Bernadin fame...he is soooo gorgeous, sexy, and French to boot!
    http://www.le-bernardin.com/ check out Eric Ripert...L~xoxox

    ReplyDelete