Saturday, August 8, 2009

Shrimp And Watermelon Ceviche~



The other night..I tuned into Iron Chef America..and one of the talented chefs made a watermelon shrimp ceviche..
I googled the next day and this one caught my eye..

"Shrimp watermelon Ceviche

A healthy, fresh, colorful salad for any summer day!"(Quote:)


I sliced my watermelon .. ap 3/8 inch thick and cut into rounds that would fit in the bottom of my little tray/ ind.dishes.. so that the shrimp and mix could sit atop..


The rest..I followed the recipe..

La Recette~
1 navel orange, peeled
½ cup fresh orange juice
¼ cup fresh lime juice
½ cup diced watermelon
1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
½ cup finely diced red onion
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 Tablespoon sea salt
1 pound large shrimp (21 to 25 per pound) peeled and deveined
¼ cup of chopped cilantro
lime wedges for serving
Cut orange into segments and chop enough pieces to measure ¼ cup. Stir together orange, orange juice, lime juice, watermelon, ginger, onion, red pepper flakes and salt in a large bowl. Set aside. Steam shrimp until just pink and rince in cold water to stop cooking. Add shrimp and cilantro to watermelon mixture and toss to combine. Cover and let marinate at least 1 hour. Serve with lime wedges.

It's from Taste Book~

I had never seen that site..I will have to investigate:)

It was just so refreshing and delicious..
It was a Dragonfly day today and we brought them over to our neighbour w/ some white wine to share on her new back deck~


I would definitely make this again and again~I know it's not a true ceviche.. but I liked the steamed shrimp~

18 comments:

  1. Aujourd'hui, j'ai les crevettes et le water melon, je vais copier!
    Mais la photo ne sera pas si jolie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Mamina. I don't think any of my photos could be as pretty as these. They are so ethereal, M. I'm in awe.

    I know a lot of people have been making the watermelon & feta salad. That has never appealed to me. But this salad looks and sounds exquisite! And your presentation is beyond breathtaking. I will be copying this recipe down, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgive me, nana, for I have run out of adjectives to describe your photos. I am stunned into silence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful and artful presentation for these tasty looking bites...I'll take 2 please!

    You are truly amazing!!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Shrimp Watermelon Ceviche! That is an intriguing combination. I must move past imagining the taste and try it! Your creative presentations and talent always have me in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. watermelon to a new art form...

    the sad part is, i would put it in a mixing bowl, grab a ladle and call it all mine... who eats tiny when it looks so good? oh i get it, you all do, hence why i happen to tilt the scales more then the avg joe...

    i will save my julia book for your pile~

    ReplyDelete
  7. M...Photography skills = unparalled, Your crazy good with a shutter...I can't even pronounce what you just made let alone attempt to recreate it...do you sleep? AMAZING.
    In response to your questions...5 girlfriends went together for the cement leaf making...we call ourselves the "Sabines", long story, will share another time...and I DID use a huge Rhubarb leaf, my man is hoping I didn't love the process too much, no more room for anymore studios. " I'm not giving up my shed" was his anxious response, Ha! Funny man...We have already planned to make many more especially for Christmas gifts...Have not made Northern Queen tags, Yet... good idea, Love your weekend my friend, xoxo~Kathy~ @ Sweet Up-North Mornings...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simply beautiful - what a gorgeous presentation.
    Love it - love it - love it!
    Cheers!
    Ry

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your posts are beautiful to look at- whenever I need a little inspiration, I know I can find it here- you should be on TV- you present food elegantly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm stunned. Each time I enter your blog i'm stunned. This is something I just cannot describe.....i'm speeechless

    ReplyDelete
  11. Je ne peux dire qu'une chose : gorgeous !

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think some plates are just lucky:)but thank you.. The taste..though..is good! I think small portions in sweet little cups appeal to us..and it was a nice day....That's luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What can I say...they look absolutely magnificent...
    I want your little spoons and tray...just perfect for this...it looks so delicious!
    L~xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. The happy spoons with the watermelon salad look wonderful and made for summer. And your presentation is awesome like always.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a WOW dish! Just gorgeous to look at and the flavors! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOOOOOOOVELY!!! and I bet Delicious too!!!

    I think I might have to get my hands on some shrimps and try out this dish...except I wouldn't be able to present it as well as you do!

    Thanks for posting and for sharing!

    ReplyDelete