Friday, August 28, 2009

Tarte Tatin au Parfum de Rose~And........

Sometimes you read a recipe and you know you MUST try it..if only for one ingredient..that you would have never thought of~

At Les Gourmandises d'Isa..When I spotted this..

Rose Perfumed Tarte Tatin..Could you resist?

It is delicately perfumed..not overwhelming at all.. subtle fragrance..an elegant addition~
Rose Water can be found almost anywhere I think now..



I am certain there are different qualities.. but I have been happy with this brand..I also have Orange Blossom Water by the same company..The bottling could be prettier:)
I made the tart in a 5 inch cast iron skillet..It's tiny..But this is best eaten the same day..and really Jacques is the sweet lover.I admit to taking a sliver and it is out of this world.
I could have eaten the whole thing.So glad I made it small..I quartered the recipe.



See how small the pan is?:)

La Recette..Courtesy of Isa.


Dough

1 1/2 Cups of flour
1/4 cup of sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup unsalted chilled butter
6 tbsps cold cold water


Filling

8 apples peeled , cored and divided each in 6.
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup butter
1 tbsp Rose water

You will need a 10 inch cast iron skillet for this recipe ..or a stove to oven casserole.

Mix dry ings for the dough..add cold butter that you have grated or cut up in small pieces.. mix.. add a bit of water until it forms a ball..flatten and wrap ..place in ref. at least 30 mins.

In your pan on med- high heat.. put sugar and water.. without stirring but occasionally gently moving the pan.. let become gold and caramelized ap 10 mins.Remove pan from source of heat.
Add butter and gently combine.
Place apples on top to almost cover the entire surface.. and sprinkle rose water between apples.
Cover with your pastry dough tuck in the edges..(I forgot!)It still was lovely but not as perfectly done as Isa's..and I have made these before..My mind was on the perfumed roses I am certain! Bake for ap 45 mins in a pre-heated 375 degree oven

Cool 10 mins and invert onto a serving dish.

This is lovely she recommends with yogurt or even whipped cream infused with Eau De Rose:)

Ooh Ice Cream could be tasty too.
Her recipes are tried and true:) And delicious.



I have a confession:) She had 2 recipes that caught my eye that day perusing her wonderful blog..General Tao Shrimp:)We are huge fans of General tao Chicken..soo I knew we would appreciate shrimp too...



La Recette~

1 lb (454 g ) de grosses crevettes, crues, décortiquées(large shrimp cleaned and deveined)
2 cuillères à table ( 15 g ) de fécule de maïs(corn starch)
1 oeuf, battu(beaten egg)
3 cuillères à table ( 25 g ) de farine(flour)
1/2 cuillère à thé de poudre à pâte ( levure chimique )(baking powder)
1/2 cuillère à thé de sel(salt)
1/4 tasse ( 60 ml ) d'huile végétale(vegetable oil)

Sauce
2 cuillères à thé d'huile de sésame(sesame oil)
1 cuillère à table de gingembre râpé(grated ginger)
1/4 tasse ( 60 ml ) d'oignons verts, coupés rondelles(spring green onions,sliced)
1/4 tasse ( 60 ml ) d'eau(water)
2 cuillères à table de vinaigre de riz(rice wine vinegar)
60 ml (1/4 tasse) de sucre(sugar)..I used maple syrup
1 cuillère à table de fécule de maïs(corn starch)
1 cuillère à table de sauce soya allégée(light soya sauce)
2 cuillères à table de sauce aux huîtres(oyster sauce)(i used Noc Chuam)
2 cuillères à table de ketchup
( Hot chili flakes and sezchuan peppercorns if you like.. we are used to very spicy GT dishes..it is not for everyone..I would start w/ Isa's recipe.. then add..WE are hot lovers)
Oignons verts pour garniture More spring green onions for garnish..and toasted sesame seeds..I like using Yin and Yang:)


Enrober les crevettes de la fécule de maïs.(Coat shrimp w/ corn starch)
Dans un bol, mélanger l'oeuf, la farine, la poudre à pâte et le sel.(in a bowl mix egg flour ,baking powder and salt.(I doubled this)
Ajouter les crevettes et bien l’enrober de ce mélange.(Add shrimp and coat well)
Dans un grand poêlon anti-adhésif, chauffer l'huile à feu vif.(In a sauté pan heat oil on high heat)
Ajouter les crevettes et cuire pendant 3 minutes en remuant souvent jusqu'à ce que les crevettes soient dorées à l'extérieur.(add shrimp and sauté ap 3 mins..stirring frequently until golden on the outside)
Mettre les crevettes dans une assiette. Réserver.(Place shrimp on a plate and reserve)
Ajouter l'huile de sésame, le gingembre et les oignons verts dans le poêlon.(Add sesame oil,ginger and green onions in pan)
Cuire à feu moyen-vif pendant 5 minutes. Ajouter l'eau, le vinaigre de riz et le sucre.(cook med-high ap 5 mins..add water..rice wine vinegar and sugar..again I replaced the sugar w/ maple syrup)
Laisser mijoter jusqu'à ce que le sucre soit complètement dissous.Warm.. simmer until sugar dissolves)

Pendant ce temps, délayer la fécule de maïs dans la sauce soya.(Meanwhile mix corn starch with soya )
Ajouter le mélange de sauce soya, la sauce aux huîtres et le ketchup dans le poêlon.(add the soya mixture,the oyster sauce(I used Noc Chuam..less)..and ketchup in the pan..
Laisser mijoter pendant 2 minutes ou jusqu'à ce que la sauce épaississe(simmer briefly until sauce thickens).
Remettre les crevettes dans la sauce et mélanger pour les réchauffer(Add shrimp to sauce to warm and coat).
Servir sur un beau grand nid de riz et parsemer d'oignons verts émincés.(serve on a lovely bed of rice and garnish w/ spring green onions)

I thought I would see if French is easy for everyone to understand.. the volumes are similar:) The words?

My husband gave the whole meal.. 11/10.
I think that about sums it all up!
Merçi pour un excellent repas Les Gourmandises d'Isa.

P.S..

Why didn't I think of this before?


Now I feel like I am on a holiday:)




In France:)

21 comments:

  1. Oooh, wow! Gorgeous eats as usual! Love the way you encrusted the shrimps with yin yang sesame seeds. And I am so happy to know that you like things hot :) If you come to Singapore, I will introduce you to all our local fiery dishes, no holds barred! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interestingly, as the weather starts to cool and the new apples come in, I've been thinking of Tarte Tatin. But I never never would have thought to put rose water with it. Lemon, yes. Pineapple, of course. Orange, mmmmm....maybe. Rose water? Never. What a fabulous idea!

    And the shrimp look perfect. We love spicy food, and spicy chinese food is even better.

    As always, you photography is amazing. I envy your flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Tart Tatin! I have never thought of using rosewater in it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. trop d'honneur ma chère Nana ! suis bien contente que vous ayez apprécié ce souper "made in gourmandises d'Isa" !
    je prends la même eau de rose que toi !
    pour tous mes produits "orientaux " je vais chez Adonis..suis sure de ne pas me tromper ! j'adore cette épicerie !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both recipes sound wonderful! I love the idea of adding rose water to the tart and the shrimp dish is so you :) It sounds delightful.

    I so envy your rose photos. The Japanese Beetles have made me want to dig mine out and plant something else :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love tarte tatin, with rose water? that sounds like a luxurious elegant dish... wonderful fotos and recipes as always.

    tomorrow, monique, I'll have some guests and I must confess I'm making again the caramalized onion cream puffs (with real pate feuilletee ;-) )... as starter. they start to be loved by family and friends... besides I make some paprica-cheese sticks as variation... I'll post that in the next days. wish you a charming weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tarte Tatin is a favorite of mine as are roses and I don't think I would have ever thought to put inthe rosewater! I have a small skillet like yours I can use, too...all things in moderation ;-)
    Thanks! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A dear friend of mine
    pointed me to your blog
    I love it

    Keep up the great work.
    Fabulous
    Love Jeanne♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. As always M...beautiful...
    I have two just picked apples...now I need to go and find some rose water...
    L~xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE cooking with rose water. Rose water is used in a lot of Persian pastries, and I find it adds a nice fragrant to the sweets.

    Your tarte tatin sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LT I know you would make a wonderful..colorful itinerary for us:)


    Kate..it was a nice surprise for me also ..this eau de rose..in a tarte tatin.

    Bonjour Isa.. Pas trop d'honneur:) Sans cesse vous inspirez:) Nous aimons beaucoup Adonis aussi!Il y a aussi un petit marché asiatique que nous aimons beaucoup..De belles sorties pour moi:)

    Merçi encore..!
    Susan..I have been plagued also..:( Have you noticed how many roses I have paraded?:(

    Anja have fun tomorrow!!

    TS..your salade de fleurs today:) And pics..so very cute!
    Thank you Jeanne and Linda..

    Bon Weekend~

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is getting close to apple time here. I have never thought of adding rose water. Sounds like a nice combination.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've looked all over for Rose water and can't find it anywhere :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been on a rose kick also. My daughter and I made rose syrup, rose milkshakes and even added a drop of rose water to champagne. It must be something in the air!
    The pics are beautiful. The meal sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Going to peek at all of you this am..

    Amazon has a huge selection of Rose Water if this helps:)

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_kk_2?rh=i:aps,k:rose+water+for+cooking&page=1&keywords=rose+water+for+cooking&ie=UTF8&qid=1251553511

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the rose water tag..I understand why it makes you feel special...did you make it?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I knew you did :-) Perfection :-)Rose water is on the shelf at our grocery store Wegman's. I don't recall the brand, but I always look at it wondering what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. *sigh* Gorgeous. As always, wall to wall eye-candy on your lovely blog, M! I like it better than sugar-candy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love tarte tatin...its a beautiful tart and you made is soo extra beautiful. are all those flowers from your garden? How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. tu as bien raison et cette recette en la voyant je sais moi aussi que je dois à tout prix la tester : quel délice ces tartelettes !

    ReplyDelete